What's the feeling around here about Gnome-shell?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

What is your opinion about Gnome-Shell vs Unity vs "Classic-Gnome"

I prefer Classic Gnome (no new stuff for me)
38%
I would like to see Gnome-Shell (maybe by gnome release in March)
28%
I would like to try Unity (looks interesting)
14%
I could care less...just give me a desktop that works!!!!
16%
I'm interested, but not that much--
5%

Total votes: 64

autocrosser

What's the feeling around here about Gnome-shell?

Post by autocrosser »

I thought I'd gauge the feeling around here about Gnome-Shell. I left Ubuntu-Testing due to Unity being "forced" down the users throats---I've been involved with Gnome-Shell from the very start & would have rather had it as default in Ubuntu than Unity......So, what do people here think about it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: What's the feeling around here about Gnome-shell?

Post by vrkalak »

I an an Xfce fanatic .... I have every Linux distro that uses the Xfce desktop by dafault.

But, if I had to, use Gnome ... I'd prefer a straight-Gnome desktop.

The Mint Devs have the right idea about sticking with Gnome and the Gnome-shell.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I prefer the standard two-panel GNOME setup. The majority of my hardware will not run GNOME-shell or Unity, so I would get defaulted back to standard GNOME anyway.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

I've watched GS over the last couple of years go from just a basic idea to something that looks like the future for the desktop......Ubuntu is taking the netbook interface & "enlarging" it for the desktop...I would say that it fits the major target (windows converts=new linux users), but the experienced users will grow to hate it + in my opinion, the development rate is far too forced--I see a half-baked GUI being pushed to users on 11-04.......I just wish that Mark had not made the direction the way he did.......although, that forced me to move out of the "comfort-zone" I was in to look for alternatives....... :D
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Some people hate change and the more sweeping the change the more they will princess. So my prediction is that there will be tons of "THE SKY IS FALLING" type of stuff going around on the web from now until the widespread release happens. Then over a few months folks will adapt and move on to princess about the next hot topic of conversation. As an individual I plan to avoid making the change till the inevitable bugs get worked out and then try to switch over.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

monkeyboy wrote:Some people hate change and the more sweeping the change the more they will princess. So my prediction is that there will be tons of "THE SKY IS FALLING" type of stuff going around on the web from now until the widespread release happens. Then over a few months folks will adapt and move on to princess about the next hot topic of conversation. As an individual I plan to avoid making the change till the inevitable bugs get worked out and then try to switch over.

I'm just waiting for the libgtk2-dev bug to get worked out & then GS will be buildable on LMDE.......

Two more questions...

1. How many people are interested in building GS?

2. If people are interested in building GS, How many are interested in a thread just for building GS (like: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1603874)? Merk42 is a friend of mine & we have collaborated on the GS thread in Ubuntu for the last 3 development cycles.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Maybe. I really don't know enough about it to say much, and don't really care enough to do the necessary research to learn. This isn't near the top of my priority list.
Rifester

Post by Rifester »

Autocrosser,

I followed the Gnome Shell thread over at the Ubuntu forums for the last few releases.... I have also left Ubuntu (and no longer read the forums). I am tired of regressions and things started but not finished. Ubuntu Netbook Remix should have continued. OZ Unity has done what Ubuntu should have done and made UNR theme-able, attractive, and able to run with Compiz. Instead Ubuntu stopped development and moved the buttons to make place for "windicators". Next the netbook edition is released with an unfinished Unity (not theme-able, hide-able, mutter instead of compiz, etc.). They changed the notification area (which I have always found glitchy and annoying), the volume indicator to a media control area, etc. etc. Ubuntu releases are feeling more and more like a test bed for Mr. Shuttleworth's vision instead of a stable OS. That is fine, but not what I want, so I have left. I know many people are telling other Ubuntu users that they can just default to regular gnome in Ubuntu, but how much work is going to continue on that side of things with the focus on Unity? I HOPE that Gnome Shell is successful. I have tested the version in the repos occasionally and find it interesting. I am glad you are over at Mint and look forward to following your testing of Gnome Shell!

Rifester

PS I am thankful for Ubuntu. It brought me to Linux. But I have found Debian to be far more stable then Ubuntu and all of my computer have made the switch. Debian is what I personally prefer in an OS.
d00med

Post by d00med »

I came to Mint because Unity was slow, limiting and unstable. It was so bad that I'm not interested in anything Ubuntu is doing anymore.
drdavidk

Post by drdavidk »

I've installed and uninstalled Gnome-Shell about a half dozen times, just trying out its bells and whistles. But I've always returned to classic Gnome because it's so much more customizable, and runs on the older of my two desktops. If it'd be more open, I might try it again.
pythagorean

Post by pythagorean »

Tiresome how you have to keep switching into that overall view that shows all of the open windows and then back again.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

d00med wrote:I came to Mint because Unity was slow, limiting and unstable. It was so bad that I'm not interested in anything Ubuntu is doing anymore.
I agree--Unity did nothing but get me upset at the devs...Gnome-Shell being a Gnome project will be felt thru all the distros--not just Ubuntu. I was very unhappy that Mark turned his back on 2+ years of GS development---I think that Unity will be a Un-unifying element in the Linux world---causing more trouble that good.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

pythagorean wrote:Tiresome how you have to keep switching into that overall view that shows all of the open windows and then back again.
I have to admit that I run AWN with GS--there are times I goto the overlay, but I still feel a dock/panel is needed.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm been 2-3 months sinced i last built gnome-shell. I definitely perfer it over unitiy but if it doesn't get some more basic old-fashioned stuff I'll stick with the classic gnome 2-panel desktop-layout.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

OK--I tried a build last night after getting the libgtk2.0-dev depends sorted out.....went with "almost" no problems. I need to update xulrunner-dev to 1.9.2 & I'll get a complete run. Next question: Anyone interested in the tutorial similar to the Ubuntu one I posted?
axxer

Post by axxer »

autocrosser wrote:OK--I tried a build last night after getting the libgtk2.0-dev depends sorted out.....went with "almost" no problems. I need to update xulrunner-dev to 1.9.2 & I'll get a complete run. Next question: Anyone interested in the tutorial similar to the Ubuntu one I posted?
yes please do.. very interested in it
NewDisciple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NewDisciple »

Classic Gnome! This also explains why I am here (LMDE) and not the Ubuntu forums.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

NewDisciple wrote:Classic Gnome! This also explains why I am here (LMDE) and not the Ubuntu forums.
Tell me more---We're talking about Gnome-Shell here, not Unity. Ubuntu is pushing Unity on its users & turning its back on Gnome.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Well---Its looking like I would need to update quite a few libraries to get xulrunner 1.9.2 running on my system......

I see 2 choices>
1. move all my sources to Sid-----
2. wait a bit until Squeeze is released to see if the libs catch up.

I might start a second install with Sid in the sources & keep this one as a backup---Ideas?
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

i have a sid install to play around with and iirc i had to install some things from the experimental repos to update xulrunner. although i do believe it was only like 2-3 packages.

Return to “LMDE Archive”