Beginners Guide to Installing and Using Linux Mint 11

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
proxima_centauri

Re: Beginers Guide to Installing and Using Mint

Post by proxima_centauri »

*Updated the Link for latest version.*
jessie0514

Post by jessie0514 »

Hi I am jessie and I am testing some versions of linux mint, and now I am using linux mint debian but my problem was in updating there was a problem about repository. Is my location a factor for that said error, I am by the way here in united arab emirates. Thank you and more power to you all.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

kai3345 wrote:Thanks for the guide, It helps! I had no problem downloading it. I already knew most of the stuff in their anyway. Thanks anyway!
I got in an argument, to no avail, with an admin on the Ubuntu forum last week about the need for such a guide for Ubuntu. His attitude was "all the information is on the web site," and that making the information easier to find would be condescending to users. Actually, there is a PDF guide for Ubuntu 10.04 that is comparable to the Mint 9 guide, but it wasn't developed by the Ubuntu folks, so they seem to be pretending that it doesn't exist.

Anyway, I appreciate the way the Mint download page puts these important links right smack in the middle of the page, where it's next to impossible to miss them:

Read the Linux Mint 9 User Guide
See what's new in Linux Mint 9
Read the release notes

Good work, Mint team! :mrgreen:
green_is_good

Post by green_is_good »

i want to install mint 9 Gnome from a USB drive. I downloaded an USB Installer from www.pendrivelinux.com and ISO image of mint 9 Gnome. After making the pen drive bootable i could get the boot menu. Then when i give "Start Linux Mint" or "Start Linux Mint(compatibility mode)", I simply get a Splash Screen indicating loading.... after that nothing happens(i.e desktop is not reached). Please help me as my computer does not have a CD-DRIVE and I am dying to try out Mint! Thanks in advance!
alex30

Post by alex30 »

thanks for this beginner guide to read about it
AirValor

Post by AirValor »

green_is_good wrote:i want to install mint 9 Gnome from a USB drive. I downloaded an USB Installer from http://www.pendrivelinux.com and ISO image of mint 9 Gnome. After making the pen drive bootable i could get the boot menu. Then when i give "Start Linux Mint" or "Start Linux Mint(compatibility mode)", I simply get a Splash Screen indicating loading.... after that nothing happens(i.e desktop is not reached). Please help me as my computer does not have a CD-DRIVE and I am dying to try out Mint! Thanks in advance!
Maybe a bit late, but better late than never.

Make sure your USB is formatted in FAT32 filesystem.

Also make sure that your ISO is not corrupt (you can verify this by checking the md5sum and comparing it with the one that's @ the download)
sajjad3392

Want help when i minimize the appliction it does not show

Post by sajjad3392 »

help is required from all concerned that when i minimize the application it does not show in the taskbar located in the bottom of the screen / desktop. so what i have to do with it? due to this i am unable to restore the application like browser etc which was minimized by me previously. thanks waiting
JonM33

Re: Want help when i minimize the appliction it does not sho

Post by JonM33 »

sajjad3392 wrote:help is required from all concerned that when i minimize the application it does not show in the taskbar located in the bottom of the screen / desktop. so what i have to do with it? due to this i am unable to restore the application like browser etc which was minimized by me previously. thanks waiting
Right click on the taskbar at the bottom and select "Add to Panel". Scroll down and select "Window List". That will re-add that panel to the taskbar. You must have accidentally removed it.
daibak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daibak »

JonM33,

A big thank you for this contribution how to resolve "disappearing" minimized windows. This tiny but irritating issue had been bugging me for past two weeks to the point where I'd even un-installed and re-installed Chromium browser to attempt to resolve the problem. It's sad how many initially enthusiastic Linux newbies give up on this great OS because of annoyances like this. I've learned that it's persistently digging, digging, digging and digging in the fora that one finds pearls of wisdom like this one.

Once again, thanks JonM33,
daibak
shad3slay3r

Post by shad3slay3r »

I already downloaded the iso file 3 times, burned it, rebooted, entered linux aplication and all i get is a message that says: " (process 355): GLib- Warning **: getpwuid_r ():failed due to unknown user id (0) :shock:

Thx for all the help,

D.T.
Tape

Post by Tape »

Hello, I've just downloaded the live 32 bit DVD version of Julia, and I was reading through the pdf, and it talks about a live cd. Does it make any difference if I have the dvd instead?
Thanks ^^
mfajz

Post by mfajz »

Hi there :)
Well guys, I want to install Linuxmint KDE 9 keeping my old partitions, but i cannot find the right
option to do that. When installing from DVD i can only see two options:
1- Format the entire hard drive ( OK... no xD)
2- Manual Partition: ... but... the program asks me to start partitioning like if it was the first time the hard disk is going to be partitioned, that is, it never showed my old partitions, so if I start to change partitions manually all information will be lost :(

Pleeeaaseee where can I find the way to install in a previous partition??? (in my case sda5)

Thank youuu
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

mfajz wrote:Hi there :)
Well guys, I want to install Linuxmint KDE 9 keeping my old partitions, but i cannot find the right
option to do that. When installing from DVD i can only see two options:
1- Format the entire hard drive ( OK... no xD)
2- Manual Partition: ... but... the program asks me to start partitioning like if it was the first time the hard disk is going to be partitioned, that is, it never showed my old partitions, so if I start to change partitions manually all information will be lost :(

Pleeeaaseee where can I find the way to install in a previous partition??? (in my case sda5)

Thank youuu

Check this out,

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/05/26/ma ... u-10-04/2/

hope it helps
mfajz

Post by mfajz »

Hey Wayne! thanks for answering pal :)
Your link is pretty good, unfortunately it proved me that what I want is not possible :(
To manipulate partitions manually the installation program does not recognize the previous ones and forces to create a new partition arrangement... so... previous data will be gone =/
But thanks anyway (y)
acein1

Post by acein1 »

i wish i had read "considerations before you install" first,but alas i just discovered it now.
this is what i did, i installed "mint 10" on my 640gb hardrive, using the full drive (no partitions ,no dual boot)
im using approx 10gb total,thats with all my pics,music,vidio,etc leaving approx 600 odd gb free.
my questions are, (whiles its not what everyone would do) ?? is there anything wrong with this,for example,
would my computer run faster / better if i did not use the full drive, or are there any other reasons why its a bad idea
many thanks in advance ,i would appreciate your suggestions / advice on this please
ps. my system is running great,fast, smooth ,no problems,so far very glad to have made the move :oops: :oops:
vincent

Post by vincent »

There's nothing wrong with having a lot of free space on your hard drive. Your drive's capacity has nothing to do with your computer's performance.
acein1

Post by acein1 »

vincent, sorry im a bit slow answering you "its the weather honest 8) ",thanks for clearing that up, its just me ,i cant be bothered with all this partitioning ,after all if your drive fails youve lost everything ,so i dont see the point ,i save everything i need on an external drive and anyway,i can reinstall "linux mint " in about 30 minutes , cheers :mrgreen:
rrnowell

Re: VMware Fusion 3.1.2 Mint Install Questions

Post by rrnowell »

Hi,

I am new to Mint and am trying to learn Linux using Mint. I have a 15" Early 2008 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MBP running Mac OX X 10.6.5 w/VMware Fusion 3.1.2. The VMware installation asks me to select a version of the Linux OS and Mint is not listed so I am uncertain which to choose. I downloaded the linuxmint-10-gnome-dvd-amd64.iso which I believe is the main edition with Gnome. Can anyone tell me which version of Linux to select in VMware Fusion? Thanks!!!! :D
vincent

Post by vincent »

It doesn't really matter, but see if you can find "Ubuntu 10.10" (or just Ubuntu); if so, select that. Otherwise, just choose Linux 2.6.
LughClyde

Tips and Tricks for Linux Mint after Installation

Post by LughClyde »

Gizmo's Freeware site is a very good one that mostly sticks to Windows freeware. However, every now and then you get a Linux tip or two. Here is a very nice tip article specifically on Linux Mint 10:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... r+Freeware

Thanks,
Clyde

Return to “Beginner Questions”