KDE on LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rc10b

KDE on LMDE

Post by rc10b »

I'm really impressed by LMDE, what a fantastic distro and Community, thanks for all your hard work Clem and team.

I prefer KDE so I've installed the kde-full package and have now set it as my default DE, bliss :D I'll gradually remove all gnome related packages that I don't want, but that will take some time.

I'd like to find out whether I would be missing anything important in my setup compared to an Official Mint iso release for LMDE using KDE, when it's released. Can anyone answer this question ?

Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: KDE on LMDE

Post by vincent »

I suspect that the only changes would be in the default software selection...but if you want to know for certain, contact Boo. Or just wait until a KDE version of LMDE comes out, and use Synaptic/dpkg -l to get a list of software installed by default, if that's what you want.
beli0135

Re: KDE on LMDE

Post by beli0135 »

LMDE is a bit better in this case then standard mint.
Use: apt-get install kde-full

however be prepared, it will not work 100%. There still will be a few annoying glitches.
1. GTK applications will look ugly (eg. firefox), no matter if you install gtk-qt-engine, qtcurve etc.. it's just too stupid to find its way around (wasn't designed for KDE - remember this)
2. Some things will crash, like some things in system settings. With each clean installation, another thing will break.

I dislike gnome, I dislike it very much... its retarded comparing to KDE. Words can't really express how much I despise it.
I despise it a lot!

.. but I am forced to use it now, and I am very unhappy because of it.

I have top-notch harware at the moment. Wireless is not supported in current kernel (in new 2.6.37 will be). So I am using Mint because it's easiest to install driver for it, and it is currently newest and the most polished distro.

If you are a KDE guy, there is only one answer: openSUSE (level of KDE polishness is unbelieveable, and cannot be found in any other KDE distro)
... but I still have to wait till march to have it.

Since Mint is my 2nd fav distro, I am using it, and I am using Gnome, because KDE doesnt work well on it.

Return to “LMDE Archive”