Liquorix on LMDE 64-bit

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Liquorix on LMDE 64-bit

Post by tdockery97 »

I just installed the Liquorix 2.6.36-2 kernel (latest stable) on LMDE-201012-amd64. I highly recommend you give it a try. It greatly enhanced the functionality for me. Of course, YMMV.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
knireis

Re: Liquorix on LMDE 64-bit

Post by knireis »

Can you give some instructions or links on how to install the kernel?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

knireis wrote:Can you give some instructions or links on how to install the kernel?
Just go here: http://liquorix.net/. Add the specified repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list

Then in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
Then add the keyring that was on the liquorix page:

sudo apt-get install '^liquorix-([^-]+-)?keyring.?'
Then you can just install with Package Manager & reboot into your new kernel.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
knireis

Post by knireis »

thanks, iĺl try it
goThic

Post by goThic »

fresh lmde 64bit install, added Liquorix kernel, and it wont boot... :(
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Maybe a video driver problem. If you can't boot from a newly-installed kernel, boot from the older kernel and remove the new one, or make necessary changes to your config.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

Does anyone know if the Liquorix kernel solves some laptop microphones not working? (like mine and several others on IRC).....tks
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

sgosnell wrote:Maybe a video driver problem. If you can't boot from a newly-installed kernel, boot from the older kernel and remove the new one, or make necessary changes to your config.
yes, in my case I wouldn't have rebooted until I rebuilt the Nvidia modules, etc.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

tdockery97 wrote:
knireis wrote:Can you give some instructions or links on how to install the kernel?
Just go here: http://liquorix.net/. Add the specified repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list

Then in terminal:

sudo apt-get update
Then add the keyring that was on the liquorix page:

sudo apt-get install '^liquorix-([^-]+-)?keyring.?'
Then you can just install with Package Manager & reboot into your new kernel.
Worked for me, thanks.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Just did it, worked fine. I always like to run the newest kernel available.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Just tried it, boots up OK, but no compositing so have uninstalled. ATI FGLRX whinged about lack of headers, but I installed them. Any ideas?
vincent

Post by vincent »

Run sgfxi and try getting the most up-to-date version of fglrx to install. In my specific case, the nvidia 195 series of drivers worked well up to Liquorix 2.6.35, but when .36 arrived, I had to upgrade to the nvidia 260 series otherwise the nvidia module just wouldn't build.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

xircon wrote:Just tried it, boots up OK, but no compositing so have uninstalled. ATI FGLRX whinged about lack of headers, but I installed them. Any ideas?
I installed using Synaptic Pkg. Mgr. after getting the Repository added. Might try that.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

vincent wrote:Run sgfxi and try getting the most up-to-date version of fglrx to install. In my specific case, the nvidia 195 series of drivers worked well up to Liquorix 2.6.35, but when .36 arrived, I had to upgrade to the nvidia 260 series otherwise the nvidia module just wouldn't build.
That's good to know as I was getting ready to do this. However, I can't get to runlevel 3 as it always hangs. How can I "boot" to runlevel 3 so I can update Nvidia driver, then install Liquorix kernel and rebuild Nvidia module.

thanks

EDIT: installed the lastest nvidia driver....going for liquorix
salsalha
Level 2
Level 2

Post by salsalha »

This very cool the liquorix works slightly slower than the other kernel, at least to carry, since the opnoffice, flying. Also this fix me, the sound problems in my laptop.

Can I keep the two kernels? or that would produce some conflict?

Greetings.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

I installed the Liquorix kernel via Synaptic after adding the repo. No problem, except that I had to boot into recovery mode to rebuild my Nvidia module. Seems to work great....but didn't solve the mic problem reported by several on IRC, but that isn't the kernel's fault apparently.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

this post will tell you how to do it http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 79#p358976
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

salsalha wrote:This very cool the liquorix works slightly slower than the other kernel, at least to carry, since the opnoffice, flying. Also this fix me, the sound problems in my laptop.

Can I keep the two kernels? or that would produce some conflict?

Greetings.
Whenever possible keep both kernels in case one gets messed up, you have the other to fall back on.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

You can keep as many kernels as you want. I tend to keep 2 or 3, just in case. You should get a menu at boot letting you choose which kernel to boot. If one gives problems, you can boot to an earlier version that you know worked. Updates do not remove older kernels, they just add new ones as they become available. You have to manually remove older kernels if you want them gone. The best way is through Synaptic package manager, which lets you see all the installed kernels, and you can choose which to remove. Just make sure you never remove the kernel that is currently in use.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Downloaded the sgfxi script from svn. Getting stuck at:

Function: check_package_status - Utility: End
  ERROR: (200) The package: libgl1-mesa-glx failed to install, please check apt for any problems.
It is installed - any thoughts?

Return to “LMDE Archive”