LQ - Browser and OS Statistics for 2010

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
vrkalak

LQ - Browser and OS Statistics for 2010

Post by vrkalak »

Found this list of Browser and OS Statistics for 2010 released by LinuxQuestions.org
First, I’d like to wish everyone a happy new year on behalf of the entire LQ team. 2010 has been another great year for LQ and we have quite a bit of exciting developments in store for 2011, including a major code update. I’ve posted to this blog far less frequently in 2010 than I’d have liked to, and I’m going to work to change that this year (I do post to twitter fairly often, for those interested).

As has become tradition, here are the Browser and OS Statistics for the main LQ site for all of 2010 (2009 stats for comparison).

Browsers
Firefox ... 57.11%
Chrome ... 16.44%
Internet Explorer ... 16.40%
Safari ... 3.43%
Opera ... 3.25%
Mozilla ... 2.21%
Konqueror ... .47%
Firefox is now on a multi-year slide while Chrome has passed IE to move into the number two position.
Safari made some significant gains while Konqueror use was cut in half.

Operating Systems
Windows ... 51.71%
Linux ... 41.33%
Macintosh ... 5.78%
iPhone ... .21%
Android ... .15%
Windows use is slightly down this year, while both Linux and OS X use are slightly up.
As expected both iPhone and Android are up significantly. While Android saw more significant gains, it’s still a bit behind the iPhone.
The iPad, for reference, is at ... .06%

I’d also like to take this time to thank each and every LQ member. You are what make the site great.
Apparently, Linux is picking up speed and gaining on the Windows-dominated PC market.

2011 looks good for Linux !! :D
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: LQ - Browser and OS Statistics for 2010

Post by tdockery97 »

Interesting statistics. It's interesting to see that there are obviously a huge number of Windows users who are curious about Linux. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

some of those windows users are people like me, connecting from work instead of from our personal computers. :roll: No, I wouldn't be searching for answers to forum posts while on someone else's time.
kvv

Post by kvv »

Umm.. given that the website is LINUXquestions.org percentage statistics are highly deceiving. The statistics here could mean three things, 1. Windows users are switching to linux or 2. Windows users are saying "Meh... rainbows it, I can't be bothered with linux any more", 3. The best case, both are increasing, but linux more than windows.

It would be interesting to see the actual numbers.
cliste

Post by cliste »

Here's another interesting source for OS stats:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Looks positive for linux, although it's still only 5% - slight dips from month to month but overall it seems to be increasing year on year!

I'd love to see a breakdown of the Linux split (I don 't know if that can be done though)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”