Graphic woes

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
itisthesteve

Graphic woes

Post by itisthesteve »

Hello, I recently got an old geforce 9500 GT. It has 2 DVI outputs, and I have a 15" 1024x768 monitor plugged in to one of the DVI outputs through a DVI to VGA converter.

The video card is fine, and is picked up by lspci, xrandr allows me to change the resolution fine, as well as the display settings gui or whatever it is called.

My problem, is that it seems like I am being forced in to some weird display ratio; that is, the top 1cm or so and the bottom 1cm or so of my screen are black, and the rest of the display is forced in between these. I tried some xorg.conf settings that I googled, but then Xorg just didn't start, so I removed that file.

also, the resolution is fine when in GRUB - and when displaying the initial booting up output, but as soon as x is started it becomes like this.

Thanks for any help that is given!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
monkeyboy

Re: Graphic woes

Post by monkeyboy »

itisthesteve wrote:Hello, I recently got an old geforce 9500 GT. It has 2 DVI outputs, and I have a 15" 1024x768 monitor plugged in to one of the DVI outputs through a DVI to VGA converter.

The video card is fine, and is picked up by lspci, xrandr allows me to change the resolution fine, as well as the display settings gui or whatever it is called.

My problem, is that it seems like I am being forced in to some weird display ratio; that is, the top 1cm or so and the bottom 1cm or so of my screen are black, and the rest of the display is forced in between these. I tried some xorg.conf settings that I googled, but then Xorg just didn't start, so I removed that file.

also, the resolution is fine when in GRUB - and when displaying the initial booting up output, but as soon as x is started it becomes like this.

Thanks for any help that is given!
Can you pull the VGA converter and check the DVI output on a DVI compliant monitor?

Return to “LMDE Archive”