Hiya one and all

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cliclot

Hiya one and all

Post by cliclot »

I'm a very middle aged brand new Linux user. I'm reasonably good with maintaining all the computers in our house using a variety of (excuse the swearing) Windows editions. I'm currently taking my HNC in Tech Support and decided to teach myself about Linux whilst doing so.

I decided on Mint having read up on the current distros and their pro's and con's. For some masochistic reason I decided to combine the brand new Linux experience with a brand new Virtual Machine usage experience. For some strange reason Mint 10 Julia 64 bit would not load under my VM so I've bitten the bullet and thrown myself straight in the deep end and gone with Mint Debian 64 bit.

It's a good job I don't mind trial and error and have a lot of patience when trying new things out. It only took me a couple of hours to work out how to extract a tarball from a virtual cdrom :oops: and even then, I couldn't quite get it right from the command line - but I will sometime.

Hopefully my questions will not all be silly ones.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Hiya one and all

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to LinuxMint and the Mint Forums.

I am, also, "very" middle-aged (62) and have been using Linux and Open Source for a few of years now.

I bought my first PC from Radio Shack in 1984.
and my first Website went on-line in Oct-'92, on what was then, the WorldWideWeb (pre-internet) :lol:
cliclot wrote: I don't mind trial and error and have a lot of patience when trying new things out. It only took me a couple of hours to work out how to extract a tarball from a virtual cdrom :oops: and even then, I couldn't quite get it right from the command line - but I will sometime.
Yeah, tarbells are a pain in the . . . er, I know what you mean. :oops:
Took me awhile to figure them out myself.

Glad you chose LMDE x64 ... you'll enjoy it. "tinking with the OS ... it's what we do"
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello cliclot,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat and from there you can easily join #linuxmint-debian
Have fun with Mint
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forum. This place is a mixture of all ages, by the way.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Old Age and treachery will overcome Youth and Skill!
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Welcome cliclot, you will generally be able to find a lot of help here. Do be patient, everyone is a volunteer.

@ vrkalak: You mean you were watching SpaceGhost in your twenties?
jesica

Post by jesica »

hallo and welcome to the forum
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to Linux Mint. I'm sure you'll enjoy LMDE. Highly recommended by yet another 62 year old member.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Introduce Yourself”