Upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit LMDE

Post by willie42 »

I wanted to give some of the things that I have learned from upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit LMDE.

Mail Clients- For some reason the mail clients seem to handle the upgrade differently. when setting them up here is some helpful hints in case anyone ever does I believe this will save someone so extra work.

Using Claws mail I had that configured as Imap for a gmail account when I was using 32 bit lmde. It worked well in the 32 bit and never had an issue. Upgrading to 64 bit for some reason any new mails coming in after the upgrade generated a network error. After trying several things I ended up changing the server for receiving from IMAP to pop and then mail started working again as it did before. I don't know what the difference is but this will hopefully save some time.

The other issue I had was with Evolution using an Hotmail account. I kept getting an error receiving email. This was caused for some reason the Permissions will need to be changed before this will work.

This is just a little something that I learned and hopefully will save some one alot of time and trouble shooting when changing the email clients over.

open a terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R username:username /home/username

Code: Select all

sudo chmod -R 755 /home/username
This will change Permissions over to your username then Hotmail will work in Evolution.

Hope this has helped someone. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit LMDE

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here from Software & Applications
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Willie42,
Did you upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit and save (reuse) your /home with the .hidden files?
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

yes I did. and it didnt come out well at all.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

That is what I thought. Those .hidden files can add some complication when upgrading. Now you know what to do next time. :D
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I asked if there would be a problem in the forums and I was told no. It should upgrade without a problem. Now that I know this hopefully others won't do as I have done. I experienced application hangs and freezes. So basically if one is going to do this the best thing to do is know what you can use. The mail files can be used and then of course your data like your music documents and such and those will need to be restored and not knowing what all was hanging up there were alot of conflicts. So this is a lesson learn for anyone else wanting to do the same. :D
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

I have found, at least with claws mail, that I need to start it up first and at least set up 1 account on a new install. Then shut it down and then I can copy (or merge when nautilus asks) the .claws and the Mail file and when I restart everything picks up as on the previous install. (I did that with Fedora from my desktop to laptop, then again from lmde 32 to 64 bit). However, I'm only using pop and not imap...

Same thing with Xiphos, since I had several modules I didn't want to have to download all over again, I started it once, downloaded just 1 module, shut it down then copied (merged) the module files from the .sword directory of my 32bit lmde to the 64bit. Then when I re-launched everything was there. I also copied over my Zim wiki notes just fine, but that's not a hidden folder.

The only thing I've had an issue with is restoring a postgresql .backup file in pgadmin3, but I'll make a new topic for that someday soon.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm actually I'm quite puzzled as to how that happens - do you have several user accounts? I'm asking because I only have one and have reinstalled using the same home partition several times without deleting hidden files etc. and never had a problem.

My thinking is if you have more than one user account and you don't create them in the same order etc. you might end up having the same username but a different uid.

Return to “LMDE Archive”