Linux Mint E17

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nick_Djinn

Re: Linux Mint E17

Post by Nick_Djinn »

vascodagama wrote:
stewie wrote:just my 2cents but if people really want a enlightment desktop distro based on mint then I think you all should get together and start building it
Okay, anybody out there who wants to help build it?

Yes. I am slowly learning, but I would be willing to help out...I am not much of a programmer but I would love to contribute. Ive made my own disks with Remastersys before and tried tinkering with reconstructor. Ive certainly dont enough tinkering. I would love to help.
tavorite

Post by tavorite »

Hello world.

I just joined this forum to make this post.

I am not a programmer, but I am tech savvy. My professional expertise includes marketing, and I am a very strong writer. I could be useful to assist with documentation, website copy, editing, and a few other things. This is the first time I have offered to help out with a linux project.

I have been an almost exclusive Ubuntu user for around six years. Of course I tried many flavours, particularly in the early days, and that has included some enlightenment distros, which significantly impressed me. Recently I have "discovered" Peppermint OS Ice, which for my netbook is the current best thing out there, IMHO. I would love to see Enlightenment in a union with Peppermint or another Mint variant to form a light (weight) combination that's like stevia to the eyes... and that desire is strong enough to make a personal commitment.

So if this thread is any sort of call to action for people to join hands in praying for enlightenment then please consider me to be a joiner, and I call out to others to jump into this fun & enlightening endeavour.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

It looks like E17 is in the repositories now.
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

Nick_Djinn wrote:It looks like E17 is in the repositories now.
Yep, it is, and it installs fine. But... I don't particularly care for it. It's too different. I choose to use Linux because I hate choices.

:roll: :lol:
harleyrider1958

Post by harleyrider1958 »

If it was Debian based only such as the new Mint 9 I would use it too.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

E17 looks pretty sweet once you get an animated background and the fire and rain and other effects going.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Okay, I have been playing with an Alpha series called Bodhi, it's based on Ubuntu 10.04 with an E17 Desktop, here is the link and it's free.
http://www.bodhilinux.com/
Jeff91

Post by Jeff91 »

bobcollard wrote:Okay, I have been playing with an Alpha series called Bodhi, it's based on Ubuntu 10.04 with an E17 Desktop, here is the link and it's free.
http://www.bodhilinux.com/
I am the lead developer on this one... If there are people interested in working on an E17 Ubuntu based disc please feel free to drop me a line - always looking for help!

Cheers,
~Jeff Hoogland
Suo_Eno

Post by Suo_Eno »

What would really kick ass is when we'll get LMDE E17 :mrgreen:.But since E17 itself afaik are a WIP I'm not putting much hope for a timely release.Assuming if there's even any 1 man team working on that?

I just got this PCLOS E17 Full holiday release on 1 of my USB sticks and man what an implementation! Haven't mucked about much but 1 thing I did notice that are slightly annoying about E17 are too much main menu powa for left mouse button on desktop.That's like the 1st thing I'd hunt for to disable. Oh and global key shortcuts.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Does anyone know how to add the Elive repositories to LMDE?
Jeff91

Post by Jeff91 »

Nick_Djinn wrote:Does anyone know how to add the Elive repositories to LMDE?
Elive has a horridly old build of E. You would be better off building it yourself from source.

~Jeff
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Jeff91 wrote:
Elive has a horridly old build of E. You would be better off building it yourself from source.

~Jeff
Instructions here for those daring enough to mess with your system:
http://debe17.com/
olligod

Post by olligod »

THERE IS A SWEET LITTLE E17 DISTRO
callled "bodhi linux" that runs seemingly a fairly new build of E17 and is based on Ubuntu.

The distro is based on Lucid right now - which also means NOT perfectly Debian compatible.
The fact that the Ubuntu base is not the newest one might, however, help (since Debian testing is certainly less bleeding edge than the newest Ubuntu).

In case, the distro itself so far runs flawlessly in a virtualbox on my machine. That includes any and all Ubuntu packages that I have installed.
No dependency hell regarding package management just yet..... all fine.

Worth giving a try for those that fancy E17 I think .... and as you'd expect, a small memory footprint, if you keep out GTK and QT apps
as much as possible.

For me, the best E17 that I have tried so far.

The repo entry within the distro regarding e17 itself is

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi lucid main
The rest, as far as I can see, is standard Ubuntu Lucid stuff including universe and multiverse.
Also included (I don't think or know whether necessary):

Code: Select all

deb http://archive.removed/ubuntu lucid-removed apps games
utsuwa

Post by utsuwa »

Look here
http://xsm.alphagemini.org/E17/repository/

I tried it with Crunchbang 10 Startler alpha 2 (which is based on debian). Works great, no problems so far.

It is better than compiling it yourself.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

@utsuwa

It works for me too. Thanks :D
olligod

Post by olligod »

Robin wrote:MoonOS is a very "Minty" and beautifully done E17 distro. Have a look! The current version is built on Ubuntu 9.04.
MoonOS is not bad - but the sole maintainer goes (in my opinion anyway) down the wrong path, i.e. the future is a little cloudy:
He says that he wants to "temporarily switch to Gnome" as Desktop (actually he has released Moon-OS4 now - fairly recently, using Gnome), then he wants to maintain *three* Desktop Environments
(E17, Gnome, LXDE) all at the same time. I see problems there regarding achieving consistent good quality releases - just because of manpower. Compare that to Mint: *All* of the Mint maintainers at the same time have their hands full in create superb quality releases (and they do! - that's one thing we the Mint community enjoy). So, a single guy will face reality soon.

...and, on top of this, he has (or had) intentions to change the root file/directory structure (!).
I can only imagine how this would complicate things a little in keeping his distro package-compatible with Ubuntu or any other distro.
Today, I visited the moonos.org site again and so far couldn't see any hints anymore that featured that change of directory structure anymore.
Maybe he has dropped the idea... that could be wise.

That brings be to a positive note, I do have to say, looking at moonos: It is fascinating to see what people aspire to in making use of the open source structure:
Take it, make something new of it, be innovative and try out things!
This guy (If I get it right) is from Vietnam, and is very curious about things. He experiments - and sometimes you fail. But that is okay - that's part of bleeding edge development. If I had a company that would do bleeding edge open source technology I would probably offer him a job.

Plus, MoonOS-3 (the latest Moon-e17 version) is really beautiful.

- I guess I digressed a little...got a little philosophical... after all we are searching for E17 repos that are compatible to Mint/Debian/Ubuntu in the best possible way.
SO: to taste it, use bodhilinux or try the debian repos on http://debe17.com ... and enjoy!
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

I downloaded Bodhi, so I'll geve it a spin in the next few days.

Thanks All,
Dave

Edit: Not too bad, but is still a work in progress. Keep up the good work. For now, I keep it in a Virtual Box.
Last edited by Dave68 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Sabayon has an E17 Spin with a minimal Live CD for your viewing pleasure here:
http://www.sabayon.org/
BTW. this is a rolling release.
olligod

Post by olligod »

bobcollard wrote:Sabayon has an E17 Spin with a minimal Live CD for your viewing pleasure here:
http://www.sabayon.org/
BTW. this is a rolling release.
Sabayon is based on Gentoo, so it is technically quite far away from all Mint, Ubuntu, Debian and certainly not compatible,
as far as program/package repositories are concerned.

You may be able to see one existing e17 setup up and running.
And not very stylish (theme wise) at that - my personal taste only of course, as I took it for a spin.

Bodhi (current, fairly bleeding edge!) and Moonos (Version 3, I believe still with e16 rather then e17; somewhat older Ubuntu base) are certainly technically much closer to Mint.
Jeff91

Post by Jeff91 »

olligod wrote:Moonos (Version 3, I believe still with e16 rather then e17; somewhat older Ubuntu base)
MoonOS 3 is very much an E17 base, it is just a very dated one that does not provide updates... It is also built on top of the now out of service Ubuntu 9.04

So Bodhi is the closest thing you will find to a "current" Mint/Ubuntu desktop with E17 :)

~Jeff

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”