REmastering LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
sledgehammer89

REmastering LMDE

Post by sledgehammer89 »

PPl i have been trying to create a lmde livecd with many applications preinstalled( like smplayer,qemu etc) getting it to boot...
THIS IS WHAT I DID
i created an empty directory and copied all contents of my / (except media and proc) to that directory. and then using mksquashfs i created filesystem.squashfs
then using unetbootin i created a live usb using original lmde iso and then replaced the original864MB filesystem.squashfs with that of my own(2GB in size)..
i was able to successfully boot into the new "lmde" however my user accnt wasn't there instead just that live account with automatic login many applications like Deluge, Vuze, Qemu worked though ... ALL I WANT TO DO I SOMEHOW COMPRESS MY / into filesystem.squashfs and boot into it much like i do through my HDD with my user accnt and all my customization. ..IT WUD BE LIKE CARRYING MY OS (aka PC) on a USB STICK!! HELP!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: REmastering LMDE

Post by cwsnyder »

Specifically, having your username and password on a Live DVD would require you to have a /home/{username} directory created with no files in the directory, so that you could boot to a Live environment which does not change and does not save any preferences. I have only ever seen two accounts on a Live disk: a regular user account, and/or root. Puppy Linux, which allows saving preferences on the same disk as the operating system, if the disk is RW, only works if it has one user which is a root equivalent with no password, similar to the way M$ Windows (doesn't) work.

If you want a 'persistent' image for a USB flash drive, you could probably set up user accounts, but not on a Live CD/DVD, unless you want to modify and recompile mksquashfs.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: REmastering LMDE

Post by willie42 »

Why not get an 8 gig usb drive and install it on there.....?
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

Return to “LMDE Archive”