Liquorix on LMDE 64-bit

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bobcollard

Re: Liquorix on LMDE 64-bit

Post by bobcollard »

sgosnell wrote:The best way is through Synaptic package manager, which lets you see all the installed kernels, and you can choose which to remove. Just make sure you never remove the kernel that is currently in use.
If I might add to this:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
After you make any removals.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Yes, that will prevent the removed kernel(s) from showing up in the menu. It's not fatal if it does, but confusion could result, and updating grub after changes is certainly a good idea.
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

xircon, I checked the sgfxi install code to see if there were any bugs that might make a false install error for libgl1-mesa-glx but I do not see anything.

The easiest way is to check : /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log

which will have logged what happened more or less and maybe will show the information required.
xircon

Post by xircon »

The code quoted was from the log, everything else in the log looks fine.

Cheers

Steve
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

no, I would need to see the entire session log, you don't know what you're looking for in there, something may have indicated something or other prior to the actual error. Those logs are very verbose to permit debugging, but that doesn't mean you can be expected to know what the stuff actually is doing or what's the warning stuff prior to the error.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Cheers, will create a pastebin of the log when I get home from work this evening

Steve
xircon

Post by xircon »

salsalha

Post by salsalha »

sgosnell wrote:You can keep as many kernels as you want. I tend to keep 2 or 3, just in case. You should get a menu at boot letting you choose which kernel to boot. If one gives problems, you can boot to an earlier version that you know worked. Updates do not remove older kernels, they just add new ones as they become available. You have to manually remove older kernels if you want them gone. The best way is through Synaptic package manager, which lets you see all the installed kernels, and you can choose which to remove. Just make sure you never remove the kernel that is currently in use.

Tks for the info... i'll keep both of them, until the native kernel gets update to work whit my sound card.

Greetings
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I updated my LMDE to the newly released 2.6.37 kernel. Compiled it myself from Source via CLI.

Linux vrkalak-lmde 2.6.37-020637-generic #201101050908 SMP Wed Jan 5 09:09:44 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux 
The Linux Kernel 2.6.37 was released as 'stable' yesterday. (2011-01-05)

Not as hard, as I thought, it would be. :?
The hardest part was updating Grub ... finally had to just re-install Grub.
The new kernel showed up in the grub.conf file but not in the Splash screen?
N!cke

Post by N!cke »

vrkalak wrote:I updated my LMDE to the newly released 2.6.37 kernel. Compiled it myself from Source via CLI.

Linux vrkalak-lmde 2.6.37-020637-generic #201101050908 SMP Wed Jan 5 09:09:44 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux 
The Linux Kernel 2.6.37 was released as 'stable' yesterday. (2011-01-05)

Not as hard, as I thought, it would be. :?
The hardest part was updating Grub ... finally had to just re-install Grub.
The new kernel showed up in the grub.conf file but not in the Splash screen?
You got a point, updating grub2 is harder then compiling the kernel :-) Life was much easier before grub2.

Some day I'll teach myself how to handle grub2.. :-) For now i'm completly happy with the liquorix kernel.
Cheers!
/N!cke
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I am trying to install liquorix kernel and having a bit of an issue. I installed it but cant get Grub to see it. any assistance is appreciated with this.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
sadnem

Post by sadnem »

willie42 wrote:I am trying to install liquorix kernel and having a bit of an issue. I installed it but cant get Grub to see it. any assistance is appreciated with this.
Make sure that you have installed both packages: "linux-headers-2.6-liquorix-amd64" and "linux-image-2.6-liquorix-amd64" then run on a terminal as root:

update-grub
and that should be it.
Also (this happened to me) if you boot with liquorix and only see a black screen it's probably because of nvidia not being properly configured on the kernel so let's rebuild the nvidia module on it:
1- Boot on liquorix kernel.
2- Switch to the console pressing ctrl-alt-f1, ctrl-alt-f2 or ctrl-alt-f3
3-Login and:
Stop X:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
Install the nvidia module:

sudo module-assistant auto-install nvidia
Start X again:

startx
or

/etc/init.d/gdm3 start
At least that was it for me, I hope to have solved your problem.
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

xircon, as I suspected, the issue isn't at all related to that package, it's related to installing any package, in this case, the command is reinstall, not install, so it's installed, it gets reinstalled.

The install is what is failing, same happened above in the first session in your log file.

I assume that you are using wifi, this is my guess, and that you are using the mint wifi connection manager, which may not properly enable wifi connection out of X, though why the ftp downloads and sgfxi update work I can't say.

This is a problem in Mint almost certainly, not in sgfxi, sgfxi is simply stating a fact, the apt-get install command exited with error.

I should add some more logging in there I think to show me what runlevel the user is in, if X is actually running at the time, and a few other things that might help me pin down issues like this.

However, there's no problem with sgfxi, it's all working correctly from what I can see, the error message is exactly right, there is a problem with apt.

You might have a borked apt-get that shows error every time it's used, I can't really tell you.

You can test yourself: apt-get install --reinstall any-package
and see.

glx may not be reinstallable if X is running, I can't really say.

I do see space for more logging of system data here though.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

sadnem wrote:
willie42 wrote:I am trying to install liquorix kernel and having a bit of an issue. I installed it but cant get Grub to see it. any assistance is appreciated with this.
Make sure that you have installed both packages: "linux-headers-2.6-liquorix-amd64" and "linux-image-2.6-liquorix-amd64" then run on a terminal as root:

update-grub
and that should be it.
Also (this happened to me) if you boot with liquorix and only see a black screen it's probably because of nvidia not being properly configured on the kernel so let's rebuild the nvidia module on it:
1- Boot on liquorix kernel.
2- Switch to the console pressing ctrl-alt-f1, ctrl-alt-f2 or ctrl-alt-f3
3-Login and:
Stop X:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
Install the nvidia module:

sudo module-assistant auto-install nvidia
Start X again:

startx
or

/etc/init.d/gdm3 start

At least that was it for me, I hope to have solved your problem.

Well i dont have an NVidia Video card......mine is Intel.....so that solution wont quite work for me thanks for trying :D
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

willie42 wrote:

Well i dont have an NVidia Video card......mine is Intel.....so that solution wont quite work for me thanks for trying :D
Grub doesn't list your new kernel?

It's just as root, "update-grub" but that would have already been done if you installed Liquorix kernel from Synaptic.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I have done up-date grub reststarted 6 + time. I can see it installed in the software manager but Grub doesnt see it .......
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

willie42 wrote:I have done up-date grub reststarted 6 + time. I can see it installed in the software manager but Grub doesnt see it .......
if you did "update-grub" and still don't see it listed, I'd reinstall it. When you do "update-grub", do you see it listed in the terminal? Have you installed the image + headers?
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

yep its there just at the moment Grub wont see it..........I am still messing with it trying to get it to do what its suppose too..... :D
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Same here ... Grub2 didn't see the new Kernel even after update-grub

I checked in the grub folders/files and the new kernel was listed but it would not show up on the splash screen.

I finally, had to boot into the other Linux OS on my PC (#!Crunchbang) and do an update-grub from there ... then, the new kernel for LMDE showed up on the splash screen. I don't know why this made a difference but it did.

If you don't dual-boot with another OS ... perhaps, use the LMDE LiveDVD and update-grub from there?
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

well I am reinstalling it to see if it works if not I will try to use Grub from Mint 10 to see what it will do for me :D

Edit: ok I went in uninstalled and reinstalled it and I am all good now. dont know what happened but I am good now

Return to “LMDE Archive”