Keyboard layout issue in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
davidgagne80
Level 1
Level 1

Keyboard layout issue in LMDE

Post by davidgagne80 »

Hi! I looked everywhere and couldn't find anyone with a similar problem...

I installed LMDE soon after it was released and I'm thrilled with it, but during the installation I didn't select the proper keyboard.

Not a big deal, I went in the control center and changed it after it was done and clicked delete on the wrong one. Everything was fine... Or so I thought.

Everytime I restard the computer the bad layout comes back and I'm stuck with the annoying little icon on my taskbar to select which one I want to use...

anyone know how to delete a bad layout for good?? Everytime, I go back to the control center, and I delete it, but when I reboot, it's back! just bugging me!

Thanks in advance!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stz*j

Re: Keyboard layout issue in LMDE

Post by stz*j »

Hi, I had a similar problem to yours too, with the 'bad', not needed layout popping up again.

I kinda solved it after some trial and error. Forgot how but try this and see how it goes.

Go to keyboard preferences -> layouts.
1) Delete the keyboard layout(s) you don't need.
2) Click on the reset to defaults.

I think that was what I did. Don't ask the theory behind it.

In my case, I'm alternating between qwerty and colemak layouts so I had to add keep 2 of them before clicking the Reset to defaults.
davidgagne80
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidgagne80 »

That does not work with mine... As soon as I press the reset to default button, the bad one reappears and the good one disappears :(

In my case they are 2 different layouts of Canadian keyboard, I want to use Canada Multilingual (because I need all those weird é à â characters to be easily available when I talk to my french relatives) but the regular Canada keyboard keeps popping back... Thanks anyway stz*j !
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Hi, I don't know if what you're talking about is specific to GNOME or Mint. But the system layout(s) is(are) set in /etc/default/keyboard. This can be configured with the keyboard configuration tool:

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
stz*j

Post by stz*j »

I did more research around the debian forums and saw a lot of cases similar to this.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... em#p284444
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=242260#p242260

The above way works, I've tried it. Also found some other ways like editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file which I can't find in my filesystem. I can say that xorg.conf file can fix a LOT of things but they kinda left it out somewhere in the newer versions and put in other replacements I suppose.

I found an interesting one to use

setxkbmap ca
That'll give you canada's layout but I can't find a way to make it the multilingual one. Oh, and it kinda gets stuck at canada only although you keyboard preferences might show your other layouts. Just click around a little, move the layouts up and down and it'll be ok.

Actually, I see no point in doing so. lol. Just thought you might want to learn a few things. :D
ghysmodos

Post by ghysmodos »

I had a similar issue ( Italian and German layout),
I found out that I can choose it at the login screen.
RavanH

Post by RavanH »

secipolla wrote:Hi, I don't know if what you're talking about is specific to GNOME or Mint. But the system layout(s) is(are) set in /etc/default/keyboard. This can be configured with the keyboard configuration tool:

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
After going though some steps without really knowing what to choose, this one (but with sudo in front of it) turned out to work. Thanks secipolla :)

I just wish that could have been easier like on Ubuntu / regular Mint ...
elav

Post by elav »

I had a similar problem. What I did was select my keyboard settings in the GDM and I was fixed for ever.

Return to “LMDE Archive”