New Debian-based-live-cd boots to black screen {solved}

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
spookie2005

New Debian-based-live-cd boots to black screen {solved}

Post by spookie2005 »

Hi,

I want to try Linux Mint Debian 10 but when I insert the DVD and start the whole thing,I only get a black screen...The error I get is "No screens found"
When I type lspci I get

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] (rev a1)

What can I try to solve this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Re: New Debian-based-live-cd boots to black screen

Post by KenWeiLL »

We have the same nvidia card and have the same problem, using 32bit LMDE.

I downloaded and installed the 64bit of LMDE and solved my problem. Also, I've noticed that 64bit of LMDE works extremely fast on my system :)
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
heavymetalmixer

Post by heavymetalmixer »

I quote myself (yeah, i'm a weird guy)
For those who got the 32 bits edition, and are installing it using a USB (unetbootin): a found a solution:

First you gotta know what unti is your USB, in my case is /dev/sdb

Now, boot the live USB, get down until you're in "compatibilty mode", then press tab for editing. After "xforcevesa" put "nomodeset" and enter.

Just wait, and you''ll see the live USB begin with a 800*600 resolution

Now install LMDE (the steps are obvious, i won't say them), and wait until it's complete.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you got stucked in "Configuring bootloader" for a big while, quit the installation and reboot. Then use the live USB . . . again (yeah, i know it's so hard . . .)

Now, get down until you're in "compatibilty mode", then press tab for editing. After "xforcevesa" put "nomodeset", and where it says "root = /dev/ram", replaces ram for the unit of your usb, in this case sdb and enter.

Now, you got LMDE installed but grub is screwed, let's get going . . .
First, you gotta know what's the partition where you installed LMDE, open a root terminal a type:

"mount /dev/sda2 /mnt" (sda2 is in this case the partition where you installed LMDE)
"mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev"
"mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc"

then . . .

"chroot /mnt"
"grub-install --recheck /dev/sda" (here it's sda because got to be installed in all the Hard Drive)

Then, reboot WITHOUT the live USB, and enter in LMDE, just login normal, now you got the SO normally installed.

Open the root terminal and type:

"update-grub2" and wait until it's complete.

If that command didn't work, type this:
"aptitude install grub2" and follw the steps.

NOW you got LMDE 32 bits Installed successfuly.
Oh, i forgot to say something: I got a Nvidia VGA, for ATI, i think instead "nomodeset" it's "radeon.modeset=0"
I hope it helps you.
spookie2005

Post by spookie2005 »

Thank you all!I'll give it a try...
spookie2005

Post by spookie2005 »

It works now fine using the latest image....

Return to “LMDE Archive”