OpenSuse 10.3: How does it compare to LinuxMint?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Kinne wrote: I just thought everybody is eager to download that new release 8)
Riiiiiight, that's why everybody around here is hanging out in a forum dedicated to a *different* Linux distribution?? :lol:

Your logic is flawed :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Damn you!! :evil: You made me curious :roll: .... Now I am downloading it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Ahahaha so his logic wasn't flawed at all :lol: :lol:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

kanishka wrote:Ahahaha so his logic wasn't flawed at all :lol: :lol:
aaaaargh :oops: ..... Shut up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

:shock: suse 10.3 looks Great!! works way much better than before huge difference
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

frank392 wrote:suse 10.3 looks Great!!
hmm bof... And with the deal with Microsoft... no Suse for me, no Microsoft openLinux sorry :evil:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

frank392 wrote::shock: suse 10.3 looks Great!! works way much better than before huge difference
But the installation is still a big hassle .... And either you install from the DVD and SUSE --as always-- tries to install way too much + all the packages I don't want anyway (so I lose a lot of time fine-tuning what I want installed and what I don't want ... as always!) .... OR: you install from the new "KDE-only" or "GNOME-only" CD's which means that the system you get will be missing half of the packages you want, so you'd need to install all of those things afterwards. What a pain in the posterior ... And of course they still don't have a decent package manager that would come pre-configured to handle remote repos properly ...

Sorry, but 'apt-get' is soooo much superior. And thinking of how much hassle the SUSE install still is I have to say I prefer Ubuntu's way: Just give me a basic system ASAP and I and my good friend "Synaptic" will take care of the rest afterwards ...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

linuxviolin wrote: And with the deal with Microsoft... no Suse for me, no Microsoft openLinux sorry :evil:
Well, he's right that it *looks* good ... But read above. The installation requires you to click through many menus and dialogues ... click click click click ... From that POV you really get that 'good old' XP feeling :lol:
invenit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by invenit »

Success with an early version of SuSE is the big reason I mostly work with Linux now.

Sooooo...since v10.3 is Novell's greatest release in ten months, I downloaded and installed SuSE yesterday (my machine is just an ordinary Dell Dimension 3000 running at 3 GHz with 1 GB RAM).

By the way, my machine is also highly optimized for mint (Gnome) and takes 50 seconds to fully boot. On SuSE with Gnome, 56 seconds; with KDE, 45 seconds.

Most of my installed time with SuSE was spent with the KDE desktop (since neither mint with KDE nor Kubuntu work well on my machine). To summarize my experience: both KDE & Gnome on SuSE *really* work fine with my gear. Rock solid.

OTOH, I reinstalled mint this morning. Even though SuSE's devs have fixed the package manager (my biggest headache with SuSE), I prefer apt. If I need to run KDE, then I'll look at SuSE or Freespire. Right now, mint (with Gnome) suits me fine. :D
thebrix
Level 1
Level 1

Re: OpenSuse 10.3: How does it compare to LinuxMint?

Post by thebrix »

Kinne wrote:So, we have the GoldMaster final release of OpenSuse 10.3

Here is a direct link for (high speed) downloading it:

http://ftp.uni-ulm.de/pub/mirrors/opens ... /10.3/iso/

A nice comparison between Suse and LinuxMint would be great...
I've tried the Gnome edition (1 CD rather than the monster DVD), and Mint will be being put back on tomorrow.

There are two major problems with openSuSE:

1. You get absolutely everything. There is no attempt to tailor the installation to any "audience", so the Gnome control panel is cluttered with obscure options such as "Avahi SSH Server Browser" and "GStreamer Properties" and Yast2 (the equivalent of MintConfig) is even worse - there are so many icons the list is three times the physical height of the screen!)

2. The package manager falls far short. It has been rewritten for 10.3, but a course in user interface design would have been useful before doing the rewrite; it has a two-pane view with Install> and <Remove buttons between the panes which, unless I am missing a trick, is horribly awkward to navigate as I find myself forever scrolling through lists. It has the particularly odd feature that, if a package is installed, it is shown in both lists - "Available" means "installed plus may be installed", rather than "may be installed" which I would have expected.

The package manager is also brittle regarding timeouts (a problem just now when the servers are probably red-hot) and pops up warning boxes unexpectedly ...

Synaptic's three-pane view is so much easier to use, and it feels more polished and robust anyway.

That said, the package manager has a nice feature in that bundles of packages can be specified as XML files then double-clicked to install. This is a sort of controlled version of automatix2 and goes halfway to doing what Mint does, but you are still only getting the packages in the core distribution without refinements.

The killer, for me, is that Firefox plus embedded Java applets (the JRE having to be downloaded and installed separately) bombs out every time an appropriate Web page starts up. I need that combination of components for my work intranet.

Another feature that crashes is the desktop search (what a surprise!) in the usual sneaky way - the daemon fails silently and I am left wondering why there are no search results being returned.

Mind you, the whole thing looks very nice ...
dracorX

Suse

Post by dracorX »

One thing Suse used to make right: Yast.

I don't like suse anymore (philosophical differences, too many packages) but using kde edition of mint, I do see that I really miss yast.

Why is it? how is it superior to other tools? (just looking at kde versions of suse I USED to use)

-It is hooked into kcontrol which makes sense, as kcontrol now becomes the "control panel" for KDE AND SYSTEM

-It is very consistent in itself.

Using Mint KDE, i am left with nearly no config tools. Too bad, really...

If someone could please port yast to mintkde or -also possible- do system config tools directly hooking into kcontrol, that would rock.
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Caraibes »

I installed openSUSE 10.3 Gnome CD edition yesterday. The install lasted for ages... Once in the system, it is nice... I am not a big fan of Yast however...

But the biggest problem is that Skype simply won't install !!!

-Could any of you manage to install Skype ?
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Caraibes »

As of Skype, it took a bit of homework...But it works now, in openSUSE 10.3, Gnome edition.

First, I had to read better the Skype website :

Software requirements

* Qt 4.2.1+
* D-Bus 1.0.0
* libsigc++ 2.0.2
* libasound2 1.0.12

I couldn't get everything, so I went to terminal, and typed :
rpm -ivh skype-1.4.0.118-suse.i586.rpm

It said I needed this lib :
libqt4-x11 (Qt 4 libraries which are used for drawing widgets and OpenGL items.)

Once installed, everything worked !

I am glad it worked out, but I wish it would have been simpler...
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

take a look

the title of the page is:Some openSUSE 10.3 Misconceptions. :shock:
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3019
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

I have about all the same drawbacks as elder. Worst, it ask before installing about packages selection; i clearly stated that I didn't want to install java. Yet one of the first thing it began downloading was... Java ! :x
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Lost three hours of my life trying to install in vbox................it's a coaster.
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

i only have one statement about opensuse 10.3, even slower than 10.1, as if that was possible... what the hell do suse do to their distro to make it run so dog slow?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

OpenSuse 10.3 would only load for me in "safe graphics mode", so no pretty boot splash for me. The first attempt to install I chose to enable the extra repo's, big mistake! After 2 hours I started the install over and just used the default repo, 40 minutes later it was installed.

OpenSuse didn't really look all that great... The "Slab" menu was a pain to use. The splash screens for the applications were dull and boring.

OpenSuse did run well on my hardware but would have taken a lot of extra work to get things as they should be.

OpenSuse stayed on my test drive about 3 hours before I wiped it out.
oblivion02
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oblivion02 »

OpenSuse 10.3 is a great distribution. I used it for some time, has pretty good hardware detection, automounts, very nice KDE setup, boot time is pretty fast, and has a decent community. I was very close to keeping it as my main Desktop distribution, but I had a few set backs with wireless, since I have a broadcom chipset, and I decided to try out a few other distributions. I did not like the stupid lizzard either. Tried about 7 other distributions, slackware based, gentoo, etc, but none really cought my attention. Ubuntu had done pretty good with me, but I did not like the feel of ubuntu either. THen I tried Linux Mint, and I actually love it. How easy wireless setup was became a total turn on. I also like the fact that its ubuntu based[which means debian based], and very community driven. To me, Linuz Mint wins OpenSuse 10.3 by alot. I see Mint as an upcoming distribution, with alot of future. I know it will eventually continue evolving as a distribution, and the fact that it is very community driven is very appealing. I recommend Linux Mint over Suse anyday.

-Oblivion
miraceti
Level 1
Level 1

Re: OpenSuse 10.3: How does it compare to LinuxMint?

Post by miraceti »

I have been using LM Daryna for a while, since the beta 21 was released and have installed the final version Main edition on a test hdd.

I have previously used Opensuse 10.3 on my AMD 64 as it worked well on the 64 bit machine which is my main work computer.

After putting LM through its paces on the AMD64 I have now decided to blow away the opensuse 10.3 installation and use LM in its place. My reasons for the change are many, but one that was really driving my crazy was the time it took for the yast package manager to initialize its online repos each and every time I wanted to install a package. I would literally go and get a cup of coffee while I waited for it to initialize and that is on an 8 Meb adsl line too!

Without boring you by writing a book, LM works absolutely perfectly on my AMD 64 XP3000 with a Radeon X300HM video card, and by perfectly I mean perfect, straight from install! Sound, Network, Video including 3D, Multimedia, Printer, in fact I have not found a single problem with it! Not to mention how great apt-get is !

btw as I write this I am backing up my data from the 10.3 installation in preparation for blowing it away.

Linux Mint is how Linux should be, in my opinion.

Return to “Chat about Linux”