System fonts no longer working in LMDE panels post Mint10

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wjstarrsiii

System fonts no longer working in LMDE panels post Mint10

Post by wjstarrsiii »

Hello,

I run LMDE on a PC connected to a 37" HDTV. I run the desktop at 1920x1080 and typically set all fonts in Preference > Appearance to between 20 and 24 px to be legible from the sofa.

After updating the other evening (to Mint10 menu, desktop, etc.) I find that the panels are not using the fonts that I selected above. They appear to be maybe 10-12 px and are impossible for me to read. The "Menu" text for mintMenu as well as the clock in the panel are tiny. Changes to Preference > Appearance seem not to apply anymore.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

wjstarrsiii
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ludentico

Re: System fonts no longer working in LMDE panels post Mint1

Post by ludentico »

I recently installed LMDE and I'm experiencing the same issue. Fonts in some apps change and in some don't. For instance, Evolution has that tiny font we are complaining about (menus, messages, etc), but Firefox has menus OK, reflecting my changes in Appearance > Fonts. Nonetheless, I suspect that the internet pages are actually on the tiny font, because I found myself always zooming in.
ludentico

Post by ludentico »

Quick workaround (only to make it usable):

In Appearances > Fonts click on Details. Then, change Resolution. I'm on a Dell Inspiron 1525 and I put 130 dots per inch. It only changes font size on the same apps (sc. Evolution, Gnome-panel, etc.).
ludentico

Post by ludentico »

I found out that it had to do with the fonts I chose: the default Ubuntu, Sans and FreeSans/FreeSerif. Once I changed to DejaVu everything was again OK

Return to “LMDE Archive”