Rolling need a separate /home?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
william

Rolling need a separate /home?

Post by william »

Since LMDE is a rolling distro, is it still recommended to have a separate /home partition?

The benefit of that seemed to be for updates to later versions - so you would still have the data and settings in /home. Then the / would get a reformat and new install of latest version. But now if that is no longer the case since one will be doing rolling updates, is there still a good reason to have a separate /home? I could only think of the case where someone was either hopping to the newest ISO of LMDE instead of letting it roll or changing distros altogether.

I found where in an Arch (a rolling distro) wiki they set it to have a separate /home (if using their auto method instead of manual); but I also found a discussion about rolling distros where someone did not think it was necessary.

So, just wanting some input before LMDE'ing it. Thanks!

-William
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Rolling need a separate /home?

Post by willie42 »

well its a good practice too. Just incase something goes wrong. but make sure you keep a data partition for your important stuff like music and photos and stuff
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

With the rolling aspect of LMDE, I would still keep at least a separate /home partition just in case you ever have to reinstall the / for some reason. There may be an unforeseen disaster, and a reinstall may be your best option.

I use a separate /data partition instead of a /home. They are very similar, so either choice should work for you. I like having the safety factor.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

I'm running LMDE and I still use separate /boot, /root/ swap /home partitions and probably will for a while yet not liking the idea of changing back to a Windows style of running, which in my opinion is like letting the fox in charge of the hen house :wink:
william

Post by william »

thanks for the replies all.../home bound I be :)
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

One thing i witness MISSING from this thread and others like it? when mucking about/installing/altering ANYTHING on a HDD, why is compute rbasics 101 not mentioned? Before you do anything BACKIT up! Whether you have a separate /home or not, one mistake and that data gone for good.

Return to “LMDE Archive”