Enabling root

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Cobalt60

Enabling root

Post by Cobalt60 »

I am currently dual booting Debian 507 and LMDE. I really like on Debian that a root account is easily enabled during install, and I can even log into my GUI as root. I dont do this often, mostly for editing configuration files through the GUI. And Ive been using Debian Stable for years and years this way and so am not particularly interested in learning to use sudo or su all the time.

So, any help greatly appreciated.

-Chris P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CiaW

Re: Enabling root

Post by CiaW »

What I've done is just add a root terminal to my top panel that I added (one of the options under 'add application' is a root terminal) or for the gui there's an option to right click on a file or folder and select 'open as administrator'.

Otherwise, I think if you sudo or su root passwd it'll let you set a root password and you're good to go, but then gdm probably won't let you do a gui login as root unless you change something in gdm. I don't know what those changes would be since the above is working fine for me... :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”