install LMDE over home M10

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
allypink

install LMDE over home M10

Post by allypink »

Has anybody done an install of LMDE over the home dir of a M10 installation? If so what was the outcome?
Al.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: install LMDE over home M10

Post by willie42 »

I have not done an install over M10 but if you do make sure that if you are using 32 bit that you stick with the 32 bit LMDE. I found out that 32 bit config files dont play well with the 64 bit Kernel. :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
allypink

Post by allypink »

willie42 wrote:I have not done an install over M10 but if you do make sure that if you are using 32 bit that you stick with the 32 bit LMDE. I found out that 32 bit config files dont play well with the 64 bit Kernel. :D
Thanks willie
32 is all I do. Just interested in whether any of M10s settings will have a negative effect on a LMDE installation given incompatibility of distros. I have a screwed up M10 installation on a second drive and would like to install LMDE over it without formating the home folder thus keeping the data intact. Will give it a go anyway after backing up home to a USB disk. Tomorrows chore......... I look forward to it. Have had the respin running off live DVD and like what I see.
Thanks Al.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

It\ll be interesting to hear your results.
allypink

Post by allypink »

Murdock wrote:It\ll be interesting to hear your results.
No worries will keep you up to speed. Watch this space tomorrow :)
allypink

Post by allypink »

Well the deed has been done. Everything went well. Deleted all the hidden dirs in my home folders so as not to clash with the LDME install. The installer had a hiccup at 'setting up Firefox and Thunderbird'. I quit and restarted. This time it completed. All my data was still there in all the same folders even though the installer did not give a specific option not to format home. Downloaded all the updates. Made sure I took the option to install grub in the root dir of the second disk so I did not upset my installation of M10 and Plymouth (which it does). Logged back into M10 did a update-grub with found my LMDE installation. Booted into LMDE and everything works beautifully. Next is to setup compiz and my Nvidia card. That's on my next RDOs. All-in-all a positive experience.
Al.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

allypink wrote:Deleted all the hidden dirs in my home folders so as not to clash with the LDME install.
If you do that you won't get any of the default mint configurations in your home directory. A solution would be to copy them over from /etc/skel after installation.
allypink

Post by allypink »

omns wrote:
allypink wrote:Deleted all the hidden dirs in my home folders so as not to clash with the LDME install.
If you do that you won't get any of the default mint configurations in your home directory. A solution would be to copy them over from /etc/skel after installation.
Yeh could do that. Have heard some stories about M10 settings have bad effects on LDME cause the systems are incompatible; I guess stuff is installed in different dirs and folders so some settings in M10 upset LMDE.
I have my settings in M10 on my other HD which is my main distro that I can try moving over little bit at a time to see what happens. Watch this space.
I was more worried about the data in the home dir being secure given no option seemed to be offered on LMDE installation to format or not to format home.

Return to “LMDE Archive”