speedup desktop response

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
drr00t

speedup desktop response

Post by drr00t »

Hi guys

Somebody has test this: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/alternat ... patch.html?

shows nice tweak to have by default in Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: speedup desktop response

Post by JasonLG »

drr00t wrote:Hi guys

Somebody has test this: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/alternat ... patch.html?

shows nice tweak to have by default in Mint.
It's already included by default in the current spin of LMDE. Read the release announcement.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1604

Besides it only helps if programs are run from separate tty's. It has no effect on desktop apps unless you run each one from a separate terminal. Basically it's only useful if you plan on doing other stuff with your computer while you're doing CPU intensive tasks like compiling. So for the average n00b who does little to no compiling and such it's of little to no value. Any perceived everyday desktop speedup is purely a result of the placebo effect.

But if you really want or need the patch here is a link to a webupd8 post that has a script that will do it automatically.
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/script-t ... lines.html
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

Nice....wonder if it helps me....most I do is running several apps within a VM, and 3 or 4 linux apps (well, MS Word and Excel via CrossOver) running at the same time.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
drr00t

Post by drr00t »

Hi, very nice. I work with Blender and C++, this help me a lot.

thanks.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I can tell a difference when using HandBrake.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

rivenathos wrote:I can tell a difference when using HandBrake.
Not unless you run it from a terminal.

The patch works something like this AFAIK.
The kernel scheduler tries to be as far as possible about dividing the CPU up between processes normally. What the patch does is group processes by tty. All desktop apps run from the same tty unless started in separate terminals so it doesn't do a darn thing for them unless they are started each from different terminals. Even then the effect is that if say without the patch program A starts 5 processes that each use 10% of the CPU(for a total of 50%) and program B starts 3 processes that each use 10% of the CPU(for a total of 30%) and program C starts 2 processes that each use 10%(for a total of 20%) altogether they use up 100% of your CPU. The patch groups the processes so that each program regardless of how many processes has an equal crack at the CPU in effect making the completely fair scheduler more fair on a per program basis. It doesn't actually speed anything up, It causes more responsiveness because it throttles back CPU hogs and lets other programs get a shot at the CPU.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Not unless you run it from a terminal.
Jason, you may be right. I was attributing the speed increase and subsequent faster encoding to the patch. However, in reality, it was the switch from LM10 Ubuntu-base to running pure Debian 6 Squeeze. :lol:

Never mind me, carry on....
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Return to “LMDE Archive”