Someones rant against Mint - unstable ?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Someones rant against Mint - unstable ?

Post by solar1951 »

Was looking at the puppy linux forum today and came across this strange rant primarily against Linux Mint but also some weird statements about Zenwalk and other distro developers.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22086

I am not a coder just a humble user so dont really want to go into the techy bits but, with some of these statements I think someone is near to being "unhinged"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion. And some of the stuff they write against Mint is just dumb and proves they didn't really take a deep look at it. And besides: Nobody forces them to use Mint ... or Zenwalk, or anything else for that matter. This is Linux. "Freedom to choose" and all that. So if they're displeased with Mint --no matter if we think that their reasons are kinda 'stupid'-- fine! It's their right to choose. So if they dislike Mint ... fine. I hope they then find a distro or other OS that suits them better.

I just find it childish that they have to rant in another distro's forum against Mint. They could at least have the guts and balls and come here and at least be so minimally 'open minded' and discuss the points they disliked. Constructive criticism is always welcome I guess. But this sort of 'backstabbing' in another distro's forum is just plain childish.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Whoah their comments are very... hummm childish, to say the least. Especially the conclusion that "Mint would turn back to Windows any Linux newcomer". That's just... I don't know, I can just :shock: :shock: :shock:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Celena gives you two options: fstab (which is basically the default option in nearly ALL distributions.... hum hum..) or mintDisk.

Now, assuming he chose mintDisk... he can use:

- mintDesktop to stop showing shortcuts on the desktop
- mintDisk to give aliases to his partitions
- mintDisk to decide where shortcuts are shown

And he can even define alternative mout points. In fact mintDisk gives him more options than fstab.

Oh.. and of course there IS a tool to take screenshots, all you need to do is press the PrintScrn key on your keyboard.

This guy is obviously an idiot and judging by the answers he got on that forum he's not the only one over there. If he wants to have c: and d: drives and doesn't want to use aliases, then fair enough he can always trash Linux and go back to Windows.

Clem
dracorX

Hehe

Post by dracorX »

kanishka wrote:Whoah their comments are very... hummm childish, to say the least. Especially the conclusion that "Mint would turn back to Windows any Linux newcomer". That's just... I don't know, I can just :shock: :shock: :shock:
Turn back to windows? not really, for me it had another effect:

I turned my back to windows ;-)

I am a long time linux user, and none of the distris so far have made me enjoy my system that much as mint (KDE).

Well, I still have my (legal) windows license installed - in a virtual box environment. but I find myself starting it less and less.

As for the KDE edition, the only thing I miss is decent config tools. YAST is open source now? someone should really adapt it to linux mint ;-)
poision
Level 3
Level 3

Post by poision »

If those silly guys want to use windows,dont even come to linux world.Mint is not windows.Distrowatch ranking already proved where is linux mint so we dont need to prove again.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

msgnomer wrote::roll:

Puppy Linux is actually pretty cool for what it is.
The reason I was looking at the puppy forum in the first place was to see if I could get a solution to the problem of puppy not recognising the video card on my old toshiba portege - many other distros designed to be for use on low end computers find it OK. Having posted and got some responses none of which worked the final reply from a puppy admin type was "well it worked for me!" Not really helpful !

I think I shall steer away from puppy not because it is a poor distro but because of the aggressive stance of some of the member in the forum - Mint is a much nicer place to be.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

solar1951 wrote: ... the final reply from a puppy admin type was "well it worked for me!" Not really helpful ! ... aggressive stance of some of the member in the forum - Mint is a much nicer place to be.
Thanks. And if you need non-helpful aggressive comments by an admin to your problems I will gladly help you with that too :lol:

(Yes, that really was a joke .... :lol: )
poision
Level 3
Level 3

Post by poision »

Yes buddy you ll enjoy mint.N mint team is very helpful.Finally i ll just say yesterday osnews.com posted review of celena.They also stated celena is not ubuntu with codec,it has nice own packages.Read story there.
-regards
dracorX

not just ubuntu with codecs

Post by dracorX »

poision wrote:Yes buddy you ll enjoy mint.N mint team is very helpful.Finally i ll just say yesterday osnews.com posted review of celena.They also stated celena is not ubuntu with codec,it has nice own packages.Read story there.
-regards
Hm... while this may be true for mint, it isn't so true for mint kde yet. I would really like the tools to be ported to kde... I think it's about to be done, but not sure when it will come.
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

IMHO, puppy is god for one thing and one thing only. PPC pcs, and using linux on a PS3 (making it slightly less of a waste of money).
dracorX

Puppy only good for one thing?

Post by dracorX »

Hello

I really disliked your comment (puppy only good for one thing). Comeon, just because someone started a rant against us, we do not need to get down to that level.

I tried puppy some time ago, and for the purpose I wanted it to work, it worked like a charm.

Everyone has the choice to run what he wants. It's actually quite good, so don't make it look bad just they made us look bad in a post.

Return to “Open Chat”