iPhone 4 Won't Mount

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
resuni

iPhone 4 Won't Mount

Post by resuni »

I just installed Linux Mint Debian Edition on my friend's laptop. He's new to Linux, so I've been helping him out. The biggest problem is getting his iPhone 4 to mount. On libimobiledevice.org it shows a cool video of a guy managing his iPhone with Linux thanks to libimobiledevice. libimobiledevice.org also says libimobiledevice supports the iPhone 4. But when he plugs it in, he gets an error:
Unable to mount location: Unhandled Lockdown error (-5)
It's a serious issue and needs to be resolved ASAP.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
resuni

Re: iPhone 4 Won't Mount [solved]

Post by resuni »

LINK REMOVED
Last edited by resuni on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brazcan

Re: iPhone 4 Won't Mount

Post by Brazcan »

The solution to the problem is not explained in thread provided above. Could anybody help?
MaDxCrEaM

Post by MaDxCrEaM »

Get the same error with my Ipod Touch 2G. I messaged Bradj47 from the link that was posted above that has gotten it to work to see how he did it. Hopefully I'll hear something soon and will post here if I do.
resuni

Post by resuni »

I'll post what I sent this guy above me. It is assumed that you are logged into a root Terminal. (su)

add-apt-repository Script
You will have to add a PPA repository. The normal way to do this is to use the command add-apt-repository but that command only comes with Ubuntu-like distros. So you will have to add a script to /usr/bin/. The forum would not allow me to attach an sh or even a txt file so here's the original source. http://blog.anantshri.info/wp-content/u ... ory.sh.txt. Be sure to take off the .txt extension when you finish downloading it. Make the script executable by running

Code: Select all

chmod o+x /usr/bin/add-apt-repository.sh
Then change the ownership to root's by running

chown root:root /usr/bin/add-apt-repository.sh
Adding the PPA Repository and Installing Packages From It
Now that you are able to add a PPA repository, add ppa:pmcenery/ppa by running

add-apt-repository ppa:pmcenery/ppa
Then update the source list by running

apt-get update
When this finishes, make sure no package installation processes are running and check the update manager. Install all the updates. This should update libimobiledevice1 and other libraries needed for your iPod. Then install more required packages by running

apt-get install gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-bin gvfs-fuse libgvfscommon0 ifuse libgpod-dev libgpod-common libiphone-utils libiphone0 python-iphone libplist++1 libplist-utils python-plist libusb-1.0-0 libusb-1.0-0-dev libusbmuxd1 usbmuxd
You will be told that some of the packages have been replaced by others but that didn't seem to be a problem for me. If you run into problems try adding the packages it said replaced the other ones. After this you should be able to mount the iPod and open the pictures in F-Spot.

iFuse
iFuse is one of the packages you installed that allows you to read the music off of the iPod with Rhythmbox (and some other music players, I assume). But by default only root is allowed to use iFuse so you must change this. Open /etc/fuse.conf with the text editor of your choice (I prefer vim)

vim /etc/fuse.conf
Uncomment the line that says #user_allow_other. So change it from

#user_allow_other
to

user_allow_other
Now we need to add your user to the fuse group. I assume you have the default mintMenu setup so go to mintMenu -> Control Center -> System (section) -> Users and Groups. If you're using the GNOME menu bar like I am, go to System -> Administration -> Users and Groups. Click "Manage Groups". Scroll through the list until you find the "fuse" group. Double-click it and check the box next to your name. You may be prompted for your password. Close all dialogs. You should now be in the "fuse" group.

The End
Reboot the computer and the iPod should show up in Rhythmbox. It did for me, at least.

Remember, always unmount your iPod and any other portable storage device by right-clicking on its desktop icon and clicking "Safely Remove Drive". And NEVER unplug the iPod while it's busy syncing its media.

I'll try to get around to making an official HOWTO thread about this in the near future, so please provide feedback saying if anything went wrong or how I can improve this.
Last edited by resuni on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MaDxCrEaM

Post by MaDxCrEaM »

Having problems doing the apt-get update says

GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net lucid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 4EA3A911D48B8E25
Anyone else getting the error?
resuni

Post by resuni »

MaDxCrEaM wrote:Having problems doing the apt-get update says

GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net lucid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 4EA3A911D48B8E25
Anyone else getting the error?
Ok, I finally figured it out. Download this file http://ppa.launchpad.net/pmcenery/ppa/u ... elease.gpg, save it to your home directory, open your Software Sources window, click on the Authentication tab, click Import Key File, open the Release.gpg file you just downloaded.
Last edited by resuni on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MaDxCrEaM

Post by MaDxCrEaM »

Well, actually got my Ipod Touch 2g mounting now and rhythm box can read the songs. I do still get the public key error, but most files installed fine. Only thing is I couldn't find and install some of the iphone packages like python-iphone, libiphone0, libiphone-utils packages, so I don't have them installed, but my ipod touch is still working. Thanks for the help!!!!
resuni

Post by resuni »

MaDxCrEaM wrote:Well, actually got my Ipod Touch 2g mounting now and rhythm box can read the songs. I do still get the public key error, but most files installed fine. Only thing is I couldn't find and install some of the iphone packages like python-iphone, libiphone0, libiphone-utils packages, so I don't have them installed, but my ipod touch is still working. Thanks for the help!!!!
Great glad I can help.
robertgarrigos

Post by robertgarrigos »

I try to add this key (http://ppa.launchpad.net/pmcenery/ppa/u ... elease.gpg) but the apt-key add says it cannot find OpenGPG valid data. Some of the packages didn't installed but my iphone is mounting anyway. Thanks.

Return to “LMDE Archive”