mint 9 realtek 8185 problems (solved)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hellofu

mint 9 realtek 8185 problems (solved)

Post by hellofu »

specs
dual boot of win 7 and mint 9
wifi card rtl-8185: status works in windows not in mint

i have tried to solve this problem but ndiswrapper doesn't seem to have worked and i don't know how to compile code so i haven't tried to use a linux native driver. ndiswrapper when open shows the that a driver and that the hardware is present. when i look at the network panel it doesn't show an option for a wireless network or wireless section at all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bob5

Re: mint 9 realtek 8185 problems

Post by bob5 »

hi

First in a Terminal :

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential

then check the kernel

uname -r
it should be 2.6.32-23-generic , if not enable level 4 & 5 updates to install it and restart .

Download the driver for linux @
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... loads=true save to your home folder .

- right click on the file choose extract here .

-now open a Terminal and do the following :

cd rtl8185_linux_26.1031.1207.2009.release

sudo make

sudo  make install
now reboot :

sudo reboot
for info see http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Luci ... rom_source

and wow !

happy minting
hellofu

Post by hellofu »

i did try your instructions but it failed to compile the driver. also the linux kernel wasn't 2.6.32.23 but a older version. i also just changed versions of mint from the default(gnome) version to the KDE version which now has the same kernel as you stated. i now am able to see wireless networks but i haven't been able to connect to my router. could it have to due with the version of security not working with mint? im using WPA2-PSK.
bob5

Post by bob5 »

hi

- changing the desktop Environment will not make any difference as the unlying system does not change ,as you've found .

-
it failed to compile the driver
what was the error ?

-
could it have to due with the version of security not working with mint?
It could be what other setting do you have but WPA2-PSK ?
hellofu

Post by hellofu »

other then the WPA2-PSK there is AES encryption enabled but i can change that to TKIP.
bob5

Post by bob5 »

hi ,

Try playing around to find which one works !
hellofu

Re: mint 9 realtek 8185 problems (solved)

Post by hellofu »

i ended up rebuilding the computers win 7 and mint installs and after that i upgraded to mint 10. after the upgrade i didn't have to compile the driver.

Return to “Networking”