Recent Update Makes LMDE Gnome Desktop...

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Recent Update Makes LMDE Gnome Desktop...

Post by Transitman »

...completely unusable. There are no panel(s), no action on left click or right click of mouse, attempting to open a desktop icon fails, left click on desktop does nothing.

Below is the log of the updated files.
Any help would be appreciated.
(I am using the XFCE desktop to post this.)

Code: Select all

Commit Log for Mon Jan 10 23:06:14 2011

Upgraded the following packages:
base-files (5.10) to 6.0
initscripts (2.88dsf-13) to 2.88dsf-13.1
linux-headers-2.6-liquorix-686 (2.6.36-29) to 2.6.36-31
linux-image-2.6-liquorix-686 (2.6.36-29) to 2.6.36-31
sysv-rc (2.88dsf-13) to 2.88dsf-13.1
sysvinit (2.88dsf-13) to 2.88dsf-13.1
sysvinit-utils (2.88dsf-13) to 2.88dsf-13.1

Installed the following packages:
linux-headers-2.6.36-3.dmz.1-liquorix-686 (2.6.36-31)
linux-image-2.6.36-3.dmz.1-liquorix-686 (2.6.36-31)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
craig10x

Re: Recent Update Makes LMDE Gnome Desktop...

Post by craig10x »

that looks like a kernel update isn't it? sounds like you have up to level 5 updates coming in...it's safer really to keep it at level "3' and below...I think new kernels can sometimes break a system...and they will come in on those higher levels...

perhaps someone can suggest a way of correcting the problem...but i just wanted to point that out (in case you weren't aware)...
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Transitman »

I removed the kernel update, problem persists.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

When you were doing some recent updates, do you remember maybe two questions asked that you had to answer on the screen? Were you given choices such as "keep the old" and "use the new" or something like that? I answered to keep the original. I have no problems. How did you answer? I am just guessing and trying to compare what you have to what I have. This may be completely unrelated, but worth noting.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Transitman »

Think I said use new.
And after that, and a reboot is when it all started.

Doing a reinstall of the Gnome desktop et. al. does not cure the problem.

I have since installed KDE and LXDE to at least give me option when logging in.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I am thinking that may be the problem. Not really sure, though. Since you are using LMDE, there are certain Mint-specific tweaks that Debian notices as being different. Debian then asks if you want to keep the original or go with what it thinks is supposed to be there. If you want the new, you get what Debian wants to do. Like I said, I am just guessing, but this sounds plausible. However, if others were clicking through saying the same things (and I am sure they are), then there might be more folks with similar issues. There will be some more folks posting soon enough, so you can get some more opinions, as well as some possible solutions.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
vincent

Post by vincent »

I've heard of this issue (or similar issues) far too many times now...

rm -r ~/.gconf
Then restart X.
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Transitman »

Thanks for trying.
Going to get some sleep so I can attack this with a clear head tomorrow.
motub

Post by motub »

Glad to know I'm not a lone freak of nature.... I had the same thing happen, but I just installed Openbox and went on my merry way while waiting to see if this would turn out to be a known issue and if a resolution would be discovered.

For the record, I also recall replacing a config file-- iIrc, the file I replaced was /etc/issue. Normally I would diff the two versions as the messagebox allows you to do, but this time I said to myself, "What could possibly be radically/destructively changed between Mint's /etc/issue and Debian's?" and just let the change go through.

Now it could be that /etc/issue has nothing to do with the problem; I honestly still don't know, as I haven't investigated. For me this was a good excuse to get back to a more lightweight desktop, and I can run gnome-panel in OB, nautilus works fine as a file manager, etc. On the other hand, I'm not too fond of having broken stuff-- especially broken stuff as big and comprehensive as a desktop environment-- on my system, so I hope that my "two cents" is a hint to help sort this out for us all.
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

I'm using LMDE 64bit and applied all updates last night (mostly level 3's and a 5) and had it use newer versions when it wanted. Though there were previous updates where I selected a different option. I've also customized my desktop with different wallpaper than default and added a top panel so I could throw some application icons for a quick-start of things I use all the time, as well as the weather widget that tells me it's a very cold 9f outside right now.

All of that to note that my desktop is just fine, after powering down last night and restarting this morning. I'm not sure where customized vs default desktop config files would be found, but perhaps that would be one place to look?
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I just did my LMDE64 update and where a box popped up and said:
Migrate legacy boot sequencing to dependency-based sequencing?
I accepted it and let it ride. Nothing has exploded yet. That is my positive experience.

Note: I have not seen that message in my pure Debian 6 Squeeze install.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Unless you deleted it (not a good idea) fall back on the previous kernel. In the 64 bit version of Liquorix the 2.6.36-31 is already obsolete and they have 2.6.36-32 in Synaptics Package Manager. I was upgrading this morning and the original Kernel was being changed, 2.6.32-2 was moving up to 2.6.32-5 Check Synaptics on the 32 bit system you are using.
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Transitman »

bobcollard wrote:Unless you deleted it (not a good idea) fall back on the previous kernel. Check Synaptics on the 32 bit system you are using.
I am using the PAE kernel version from Liquorix, and the newer kernel upgraded but I am still booting into the PAE.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Transitman wrote:
bobcollard wrote:Unless you deleted it (not a good idea) fall back on the previous kernel. Check Synaptics on the 32 bit system you are using.
I am using the PAE kernel version from Liquorix, and the newer kernel upgraded but I am still booting into the PAE.
My point is you should have Something there that works. BTW Mint has been using the PAE kernel since before LMDE.
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Transitman »

OK folks, I have found a solution to this issue.

I ended up searching the Ubuntu forums and came up with the following, remove from under /home/user name the following files;
.gconf, .gconfd, .gnome2.

After removing these files, do a reboot and the Gnome desktop will reappear but any modifications will be gone. You will have to redo your desktop to your preferences.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Transitman wrote:OK folks, I have found a solution to this issue.

I ended up searching the Ubuntu forums and came up with the following, remove from under /home/user name the following files;
.gconf, .gconfd, .gnome2.

After removing these files, do a reboot and the Gnome desktop will reappear but any modifications will be gone. You will have to redo your desktop to your preferences.
vincent wrote:I've heard of this issue (or similar issues) far too many times now...

rm -r ~/.gconf
Then restart X.
That's what I've been saying all along (but .gconfd and .gnome2 aren't necessary. The config files that matter are stored in .gconf).

Return to “LMDE Archive”