Goodbye Ubuntu...hello LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
skompier

Goodbye Ubuntu...hello LMDE

Post by skompier »

Greetings,

After using Ubuntu since 7.04, I've decided to leave that distro behind. I don't like the direction that they're taking with Unity. It seems that the freedom of choice is gone. I've used Mint off an on over the years and LOVE the fact that Clem decided to base Mint on Debian and NOT having to reinstall every 6 months, is going to be awesome. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest and I look forward to enjoying Linux again. Thanks Clem and the Developers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Goodbye Ubuntu...hello LMDE

Post by vrkalak »

"Come to the darkside, Luke" . . . er, I mean. Welcome to LMDE. :P

Agreed, With both Debian and Mint -- you can't go wrong.

We has cookies, either way.
skompier

Post by skompier »

Agreed. I see you're just up the road from me. I'm in RR... :)
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Greetings!!! I "was" one of the Alpha testers & just said my goodbyes to the Ubuntu-testing community about a week ago. Agreed on the direction that Unity is taking Ubuntu & was looking for another place to go......so here I am. I predict that we won't be the only ex-ubuntu users in the next couple of months........
skompier

Post by skompier »

autocrosser wrote:Greetings!!! I "was" one of the Alpha testers & just said my goodbyes to the Ubuntu-testing community about a week ago. Agreed on the direction that Unity is taking Ubuntu & was looking for another place to go......so here I am. I predict that we won't be the only ex-ubuntu users in the next couple of months........
They have a good product but it's no longer something that I want to use. I'm really enjoying LMDE. I installed it 2 days ago. Very nice.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

skompier wrote:They have a good product but it's no longer something that I want to use. I'm really enjoying LMDE. I installed it 2 days ago. Very nice.
Yes--I helped from 2005 to now to make Ubuntu a better product....pity that (in my opinion) Mark is taking Ubuntu the wrong way with a UI that was half-baked the last release & will most likely be 3/4 baked for 11.04. Quite a few people in the testing forum are grumbling about Unity & they only have a couple of months to fix it. I have been testing Gnome-Shell for the last couple of years & the last straw for me was when the news came down that Gnome-Shell & all the GTK3 stack were being black-listed so Unity development could take priority. Got more than a few Gnome developers a bit "unhappy". Unity is looking like a un-unifying influence. :x
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

There is a lot of interest concerning LMDE. We are probably going to see even more in the coming months. All versions of Mint are going to get a surge of Ubuntu users, as well as the normal traffic.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
newfie

Post by newfie »

skompier wrote:I don't like the direction that they're taking with Unity. It seems that the freedom of choice is gone.
Just so you know, Unity is shaping up great and is getting more and more usable in the 11.04 builds. Also, GNOME 2.x will still be included alongside Unity in the default installation. Log out, select "Ubuntu Classic Desktop" from the menu, and log back in.. bam, GNOME :)

LMDE is an awesome distro, though. I love it.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

rivenathos wrote:...as well as the normal traffic.
Who you callin' "normal"? :lol:
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Hey, in context, we are "normal" in the Mint forum. Fancy that.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

˙uǝɥʇ "ןɐɯɹou" ɯɐ ı 'ʇxǝʇuoɔ uı ssǝnb ı
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Habitual wrote:˙uǝɥʇ "ןɐɯɹou" ɯɐ ı 'ʇxǝʇuoɔ uı ssǝnb ı
Makes me dizzy standing on my head like that, OH, I digress, sorry, carried away, I have to agree getting away from Ubuntu is worth the effort to set this up right.
skompier

Post by skompier »

Since I just installed 3 days ago, I decided to wipe my install and go with 64 bit. I had some problems with flash when I tried Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit, but LMDE 64 is working flawlessly. Excellent!
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

bobcollard wrote:
Makes me dizzy standing on my head like that, . . .
Any sensible person, would just turn the monitor upside down. :lol:
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

vrkalak wrote:
bobcollard wrote:
Makes me dizzy standing on my head like that, . . .
Any sensible person, would just turn the monitor upside down. :lol:
My wires are too short from my laptop in a drawer to the monitor on the desk. Hey vrkalak have you tried Xfce4 on LMDE? It rocks.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I'm loving LMDE (64 bit) too! :D
I was using Mint 10 main edition but decided to try this and it gives you the great interface and features of Mint 10 along with direct debian and an rolling release..who could ask for more? :wink:

Just curious...do you guys have it set to level 3 or 5 for updates?
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

bobcollard wrote:. . . have you tried Xfce4 on LMDE? It rocks.
I am waiting for the 'stable' release of Xfce-4.8 on January 16th . . . then I'll do a install of 4.8 on my LMDE.

From all the reports, I see, from the Xfce Devs, Debian Maintainers and various Testers . . . Xfce-4.8 is gonna be more awesome than ever.

Return to “LMDE Archive”