USB detection

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
adzik

USB detection

Post by adzik »

Hey all.
So far LMDE has been quite fun to use, and a great place to learn debian too.
The issue I am having some trouble with (don't know if anyone else has had this) is USB devices not detecting, or at least not all of them...properly.
This of course leads me to believe that there is a config adjustment needed, driver or something missing.
I have a couple of usb keys that are detected and work fine 100% of the time, but I also have tried with a couple blackberries and it's kind of hit and miss. External usb harddrive has same issue.
Sometimes they will be detected and the internal mem card can be accessed as it gets automounted, and device can be backed up etc.
Other times, no dice - meaning blackberry device/external HDD in lsusb output is missing altogether, not even detected. This happens on all usb ports. Anyone have any clues? I am not certain where to look for answers. :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: USB detection

Post by DrHu »

adzik wrote:I have a couple of usb keys that are detected and work fine 100% of the time, but I also have tried with a couple blackberries and it's kind of hit and miss. External usb harddrive has same issue.
Sometimes they will be detected and the internal mem card can be accessed as it gets automounted, and device can be backed up etc.
..External usb harddrive has same issue.
Try different USB device ports, try different USB device cables, or use the cables from the usb keys (? maybe they don't come with cables --> directly plugin to device port)
..Sometimes they will be detected and the internal mem card can be accessed
What is that ?internal mem card, is that the hard drive device (usb pendrive type ?, flashdrive)
--is that what you mean

Blackberries are obviously likely to be a problem, since they are phones and use their own (windows ) type methods of connections
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 94491.html
--also would depend on the application you use to connect with ?
adzik

Post by adzik »

DrHu wrote:..External usb harddrive has same issue.
Try different USB device ports, try different USB device cables, or use the cables from the usb keys (? maybe they don't come with cables --> directly plugin to device port)
This is what I have tried, which is why I got a little perplexed as to why the system wasn't even listing any device ID, but when connecting on a different day, it would connect! Then another, not connect. Same thing happens regardless of what the usb device is.
..Sometimes they will be detected and the internal mem card can be accessed
What is that ?internal mem card, is that the hard drive device (usb pendrive type ?, flashdrive)
--is that what you mean
The internal mem card is the mass storage card (fat32) inside the blackberry. It's just another device at this point that works one day, then not working the next day.
Really, I can't make heads or tails of it, because as you suggested, I have tried different cables, different ports.
I feel like the laptop is messing around with me secretly....
lethalfang

Post by lethalfang »

I've run into the same issue a couple of days ago. No USB device is recognized..... until a couple of reboots later.

When it doesn't work, I type in "lsusb" and I get:
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bda:0158 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 2.0 multicard reader

When it does work (after a few reboots), I get the above entries, plus additional devices it recognize:
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f2:b027 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd Gateway USB 2.0 Webcam
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 1c4f:0003 SiGma Micro HID controller

So.......... what's wrong? Kernel problem? Hardware issues?

Return to “LMDE Archive”