Heh from the UK

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fandangio

Heh from the UK

Post by Fandangio »

Hello to all,

I am a relative newcomer to Mint (used in anger) but have been using Linux for a few years. I started out dual booting with XP then Win 7 (my better half thought she NEEDED MS Office). After last Win crash I managed to persuade her to abandon MS and now she's tried linux properly she is most impressed. I'm a pretty competent user but still consider myself a bit of a newbie as I am still learning.

I distro hopped for quite a while whilst looking for the best for my needs and finally came around to Mint's all round excellence. I'm currently running Gnome but like so many other users are patiently waiting for 10 KDE. When I started out with Linux the first distro I used was Kubuntu and have always leaned back toward the KDE environment (plus I still have video tearing issues with Gnome and tried every forum, fix, known to man with no success).

Other computing interests include website development and I currently manage two websites. First being my son's school website and the other a small family website.

Anyway, very glad to be here and loving Linux Mint!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jroa

Re: Heh from the UK

Post by jroa »

Welcome from the US. I also distro hop, but Fedora is my main distro although there is nothing wrong with Mint. Let me know if I can help you with anything, and I hope that I can learn from you as well.
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

jroa wrote:Welcome from the US. I also distro hop, but Fedora is my main distro although there is nothing wrong with Mint. Let me know if I can help you with anything, and I hope that I can learn from you as well.
Many thanks jroa.

I'm not sure how much help I can be but if I can I will for sure.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint forums Fandangio. You will find a lot of information and help from some very enthusiastic and knowledgeable Mint users. I'm sure you will also want to visit our Mint Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You will find real-time help and an enjoyable place to chat with other users in our IRC channels. Just go to Menu>Internet>XChat IRC and when you open it you will automatically be taken to our #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels. Have fun with Mint.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Fandangio,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Welcome to Linux Mint Forums :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Yep, welcome to the forum.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

oscar799 wrote:Hello Fandangio,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
Thanks Oscar, and thanks also for the account activation. And thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Hopefully I'll not need too much technical help but rather just pick up useful tips and tricks, and participate in the community. Mint is so intuitive and easy on the end user it really is a delight to use. I currently have it installed on two PC's, our main home computer and my son has it on a Revo 3610.

Both PC's are networked and work well and all that is left for me to do is set up Back in Time for data backup (then switch to KDE when the next release is available).
wiggy25

Post by wiggy25 »

Hello.

Another UK bod here, from Lincolnshire.
Well I've only used Ubuntu 10.10 and now turned to Mint!
I'm a complete newbie, only installed Mint Last week, tried Ubuntu just before Christmas, before then only ever used M$.

Really enjoying it all.

Cheers

Ian
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

wiggy25 wrote:Hello.

Another UK bod here, from Lincolnshire.
Well I've only used Ubuntu 10.10 and now turned to Mint!
I'm a complete newbie, only installed Mint Last week, tried Ubuntu just before Christmas, before then only ever used M$.

Really enjoying it all.

Cheers

Ian
Glad you're liking Mint Ian. I migrated from Ubuntu after trying a whole host of other distros. I'm using the gnome version but have been playing with the Debian edition (via live cd) which seems really awesome. Looking forward to the new KDE version too :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”