Is there a Celena KDE Community Edition?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Yes there will be a Celena KDE.

Hopefully a BETA will not be too far away.

Though the new mint apps will not be included. :(

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Boo wrote:Yes there will be a Celena KDE.
Great! :D I'm going to wait for testing Mint KDE 8)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

There has been a change of plans.

since Gutsy Gibbon will be out in about 2 weeks there will be no Celena KDE. :cry:

I am spending my time working on porting more mint apps to KDE/KDM ready for Linux Mint 4.0 KDE.

There will also be the interesting problem of KDE4 vs KDE3. (or both)
I have been playing with KDE4 but it has not worked entirely yet for me.

dracorX

concerning kde 4

Post by dracorX »

Hello
Well, I don't think it's a clever idea to already set fully on kde 4. Don't get me wrong, it will be nice, but not as complete as kde 3.5x is. Was the same thing with kde 3x series...

So what I would propose would be to have them both installed parallely, so a user could choose which one to use
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Yes I was looking at having both KDE3 and KDE4 installed and you can choose at login which one to use.

dracorX

Timeframe

Post by dracorX »

Hi boo, thanks for your reply. How is your timeframe?
when will there be a beta? you can contact me for betatesting, though I will in a first step only betatest on a notebook (install 1) and a virtual box (install 2)

I'm really looking forward to doing it...

PS: another thing: afaik there s something like LMCE...

Now my question: is it possible to start LMCE and thus covering and putting behind the regular desktop, while still keeping it available (like media center in vista), and if so, wouldn't it make sense to include it?

thx for your replies
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Boo wrote:I was looking at having both KDE3 and KDE4 installed and you can choose at login which one to use.
hmm... I guess you should wait before thinking of including KDE4.
It will probably not be stable enough before 4.1 or 4.2
I guess that few distros will include it immediately… :roll:
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
dracorX

waiting with kde 4

Post by dracorX »

Although you might be right that kde 4 may or may not be the best shot with 4.0, I think it should parallely be offered all the same. The reason is that KDE can only improve, if people have the possibility to look at it, use it and report problems.

So even if I really don't suggest to make it the default, I think one should have it parallely - this might even bring some people to the point when they become keen to be involved ;-)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

dracorX wrote:The reason is that KDE can only improve, if people have the possibility to look at it, use it and report problems.
Yes of course but I am not sure that it should be proposed like that to everyone on the CD/DVD…
I guess that advanced users should test it before proposing it to everybody. Then when all seems OK then one proposes the swing towards KDE4. :wink:

Return to “Software & Applications”