Ettercap-GTK Stalls. (LMDE)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
pintas

Ettercap-GTK Stalls. (LMDE)

Post by pintas »

Hello everyone. Thank you for this very nice distro.

I've been playing with LMDE for the last couple of days and although i ran into some small issues i could solve, i cannot solve this ettercap thing.

Whenever i select my interface in ettercap, the program completely stalls. I've tried downloading some previous version from debian but the problem remains.

To reproduce this specific problem, i install ettercap-gtk (sudo apt-get install ettercap-gtk), run ettercap from terminal as sudo (sudo ettercap -G), as the menu launcher only starts as normal user and that does not work correctly (although i've fixed it by editing the ettercap shortcut and changing it to gksu "/usr/sbin/ettercap -G"), selecting 'Sniff'; 'Unified Sniffing' and selecting a network interface. From the moment i click 'OK' the program stalls. I get no error whatsoever from the terminal window. The program just sits there forever.

So, let's recap: Install; run as sudo; Sniff; Unified Sniffing; Select Network Interface; Click OK. Doesn't work!

I'm I missing something here? Help please!? :P
Thanks. Please continue the great work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Ettercap-GTK Stalls. (LMDE)

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here from Software & Applications
axxer

Post by axxer »

i think its because ettercap is old, its been 2year since its last update. maybe it had problem with newer gtk libs. i'm also had problem with it. it displays some error about gtk out of array or segmentation fault something. i solved it by just running ettercap via ncurse

Code: Select all

sudo ettercap -C
pintas

Post by pintas »

First of all, sorry about posting in the wrong place. (That's why i couldn't find my thread...)

I've tried other recent debian/ubuntu based distros and ettercap-gtk worked just fine. There must be some problem here. I've tried installing the latest package version from ubuntu natty but i had some dependency issues. But when i try the non-beta ubuntu versions i have the exact same problem... :(

I wish i could figure a workaround for this.... Curses will have to do for now...
Thanks for your reply axxer.

Return to “LMDE Archive”