Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Debian 6 Squeeze enters "Deep Freeze"

Post by rivenathos »

For those running LMDE, this may be of interest:

http://www.debian.org/News/project/2011/01/
Neil McGovern writes in an recent email: "Following the plan outlined in the previous release update, we are now in deep freeze, which means that we'll only be migrating to testing packages that fix RC bugs." A deep freeze is one of the last phases before a release of Debian. There is lots of bug fixing and documentation still to do and you can help. Check out the New in "Squeeze" page for example; and if you find bugs in the installer help report and even fix them.
So, if you are not getting many updates in your LMDE for a while, this is probably why.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
vincent

Re: Debian 6 Squeeze enters "Deep Freeze"

Post by vincent »

For the record, Debian has been in a state of deep freeze since August of last year. This isn't anything new.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I think they called it a "freeze" back then, not a "deep freeze."

http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce ... 00009.html
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Yep, "Freeze" and "Deep Freeze" are two different milestones before a release. By the way, this is not my first rodeo with Debian. :wink:
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I'm still on the fence as to whether i should keep my updates in LMDE at level 3 or up it to 5...which i imagine will mostly have kernel updates...
Is it better or worse to get newer kernels....in other words, if i run with this rolling distro for a long time, will it work against me that i didn't accept newer kernels...I have tried to google this but can seem to get a straight forward answer on this topic...

I like to avoid problems of course, as i am not that "technically" oriented...but still...i was wondering about this...i know it's a bit off topic but would appreciate some feedback...
zombie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zombie »

craig10x wrote:I'm still on the fence as to whether i should keep my updates in LMDE at level 3 or up it to 5...which i imagine will mostly have kernel updates...
Is it better or worse to get newer kernels....in other words, if i run with this rolling distro for a long time, will it work against me that i didn't accept newer kernels...I have tried to google this but can seem to get a straight forward answer on this topic...

I like to avoid problems of course, as i am not that "technically" oriented...but still...i was wondering about this...i know it's a bit off topic but would appreciate some feedback...
If you only update up to level 3 you are not really running a rolling distribution. All packages should be updated if you want to keep up with testing.
Mint update isn't adapted to LMDE yet. I'm sure that will change.
My advice is to use smxi for updating.
tec_wiz

Post by tec_wiz »

Craig,

I use level 3 updates for my day to day updates. About once a week or two I will do my level five updates if I have them. Before I do anything more then level 3 I do a image of my harddrive for backup just in case the new kernal, x, or whatever, really borks my system.

Once everything is working fine, I turn the level 5 updates off again.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks guys....though i thought Debian Testing means they have thoroughly "tested' what they are sending to you (after having received it from their unstable side)...which should mean it is ok...right???

Prior to using Linux Mint...i always did all updates in ubuntu and kubuntu (since they do not "prescreen") including of course, kernel updates, and my system never had a "bork" as a result...Would you rate the updates at those higher levels, coming from "testing" to be at least as safe as those types of updates coming from ubuntu? Because if that is the case, i would probably feel ok to keep it at level 5 all the time...
zombie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zombie »

@craig10x: If a package in Debian unstable isn't causing breakage it will automatically be transfered to testing. It is still possible that this package can break testing and in some cases it can take some time before a fix is tested in unstable and made available in testing.
A problem with not running a system that is completely updated (only level 3 updates) is that you can run into compatibility problems that is unique to your system because it really isn't testing but has a lot of old packages.
I update my system every day and have never had a serious problem. Use smxi or install apt-listbugs from the repository and you probably won't have any problems.
Debian testing is very close to being declared stable now and updates are MUCH safer than Ubuntus.
After Squeeze goes stable Wheezy will be the new testing and there will be an influx of packages from Sid. In this period there is a bigger chance for problems. Install apt-listbugs, and you will be pretty safe.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks...actually i have heard some say that debian testing is actually more reliable then any current edition of ubuntu :lol:
And as you know, ubuntu doesn't break down levels like mint and i never had a breakage in ubuntu...

I've decided to switch to level 5...even get some kernel updates yesterday, and it went fine...Might as well be full rolling if you are going to "roll" :wink:
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

craig10x wrote:And as you know, ubuntu doesn't break down levels like mint and i never had a breakage in ubuntu...
then you started probably after 6.06LTS was released. soon after the release it broke down. due to a kernel or xorg update. for a newbie that must have been an absolute bummer
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Yep...Ubuntu 8.10 was my very first ever linux installation :wink:
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Debian Squeeze RC1 was just released....and I received quite a few Level 3 LMDE updates saying "squeeze"....

See this post for details:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=64118

Return to “LMDE Archive”