Another GDM3 question--where is the sound located?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
autocrosser

Another GDM3 question--where is the sound located?

Post by autocrosser »

I've been following the GDM3 threads & have one question----where is the sound file located that plays when GDM is ready? I want to replace it & can't seem to find it. Tried the "normal" location in /usr/share/sounds---short of linking every login sound (which I've thought about), I would like to know which one is the correct one......

Also---just a thought---might be a good idea to sticky all the GDM3 threads in one posting..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
secipolla

Re: Another GDM3 question--where is the sound located?

Post by secipolla »

I'm in a system without gnome, but maybe there's something in /etc/sound/events
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Thanks--I'll look there this evening.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Try /usr/share/sounds.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

sgosnell wrote:Try /usr/share/sounds.
My first post noted that I've looked there, unless you have a specific file that I've not looked at. I have looked at the /linuxmint sound set there + the "normal" login & gdm sounds.
Last edited by autocrosser on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

secipolla wrote:I'm in a system without gnome, but maybe there's something in /etc/sound/events
Hmmmm....looked there & there is a gnome-2.soundlist, but the (login) points to linuxmint-login.wav---which I've already changed in /usr/share/sounds....

I know it "must" be in /usr/share/sounds.....but I can't seem to find it.......
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

/usr/share/sounds/desktop-login.ogg or /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/desktop-login.ogg, depending on your theme. To change it, run Preferences/Startup Applications, scroll to Gnome Login Sound, and set whatever sound file you like. The default type is .ogg, but others such as .mp3 or .wav might work, I've never tried them.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

sgosnell wrote:/usr/share/sounds/desktop-login.ogg or /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/desktop-login.ogg, depending on your theme. To change it, run Preferences/Startup Applications, scroll to Gnome Login Sound, and set whatever sound file you like. The default type is .ogg, but others such as .mp3 or .wav might work, I've never tried them.
Well--that changes the sound file on Gnome desktop load---problem is that I want to change the sound that plays at GDM start, right when the user list is displayed. It's currently a "pip" or "ping" like sound.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

I didn't know there was a sound played then. I don't have one.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Hmmmmmmm---Interesting. This /home was a convert from Ubuntu Natty testing & Ubuntu plays a "gdm ready" sound (Drumbeat that I always changed to a StarTrek login sound). Looks like I need to look into gdm options a bit more. Thank you for your info.....
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Is this the sound you hear? /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-gdm.wav

In that same folder there are login and logout .wav files, along with some others, at least on my system.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

I'm having the same issue. Autocrosser, you are not incorrect about Mint. In previous versions of Mint that I've used, the gdm login screen plays a short beep (/usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/system-ready.ogg). Then when the desktop appears, it plays /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/desktop-login.ogg.

In my Mint Debian installation, the system-ready.ogg sound does not play. Instead, I get an ugly beep (like the script is calling for a sound file but doesn't connect with the right one and so I get a default system beep). I would also like to fix that.

BTW, I have never been successful in getting Mint to play the desktop-logout.ogg sound on shutdown on any laptop. It worked for me on a Dell XPS 400 tower (Mint 4 Daryna through about Mint 9 Isadora), but then I switched exclusively to laptops and haven't gotten to hear that since.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Well, now I've inadvertently disabled my desktop login sound entirely. I went to Control Center -> Startup Applications Preferences -> GNOME Login Sound and edited that to play /usr/share/sounds/stereo/desktop-login.ogg. When I rebooted, there was no sound at boot-up. So I did it again, this time selecting /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-login.wav, but with the same results (no login sound). I stupidly forgot to write down what was there by default, so I can't get that back.

I also tried selecting one of the default themes (Mint-X or Mint-X-Metal) but that only changed appearance, and not the sounds.

Can anyone point me (us) to the default sound file at login? Or even better, set up all three gdm event sounds (desktop ready, login, logout)! :(

UPDATE: I restored my login sound according to this post. Thanks to kmb42vt!

The default is /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/desktop-login.ogg. I still don't know how to configure the greeter or shutdown sounds.

Return to “LMDE Archive”