How Do I add Ndiswrapper?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
inktitan

How Do I add Ndiswrapper?

Post by inktitan »

I have done this before but can't remember how to put ndiswrapper in the module list/kernel. I use a netgear wifi card that needs it and the windows wireless drivers will add the .inf file but I have no ndiswrapper in lsmod. I get the missing ndiswrapper message after Win. Wireless Drivers finishes. I have recently moved to the 2.6.36-3.dmz.1-liquorix-686 kernel. From the 2.6.32-5
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: How Do I add Ndiswrapper?

Post by vincent »

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/modules
This config file lets you specify additional kernel modules that are automatically loaded when booting up. Just boot "ndiswrapper" on a new line, save the file, and then reboot to test it out.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

I did that last night and it didn't work. But I will do it again jsut in case.

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
# Parameters can be specified after the module name.
ndiswrapper
loop

How I did it before was using modprobe, I think. The links I have viewed about modprobe all say I need to first compile the module before I can add it but the module is already configured and ready to go I just don't remember where to put it or how.

Thanks for your input.
vincent

Post by vincent »

You can load modules manually whenever you want by:

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
Does that work for you? If so, adding it to /etc/modules should work as well...
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

"ndiswrapper not found". I tried Ndiswrapper as well. I have a /etc/ndiswrapper folder. Is this the wrong place to have it? Is it possible I can just move that to the right place?
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

Well, I uninstalled all of the ndis stuff including mintwifi. They were all configured and built for the 2.6.32-5 kernel. I then re-installed via synaptic and they were then configured and built for the 2.6.36 kernel I am currently using. Then I ran modprobe ndiswrapper same result. Also the gksudo gedit /etc/modules and am in the same spot.

Return to “LMDE Archive”