HOW TO PROMOTE LINUX MINT TO THE AVERAGE SCHLUB

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
randomizer

Re: HOW TO PROMOTE LINUX MINT TO THE AVERAGE SCHLUB

Post by randomizer »

OldManHook wrote:But these same average users don't mind using Reg-Edit on their Windows install to use key-Gens etc;
Regedit is more like a complex version of Windows Explorer with meaningless names and endless directory trees. It's still clicky-clicky.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

To properly convert users from Windows Linux has to be able to DO everything Windows can do without looking or feeling like Windows. Mac had to step it up and was assisted by the Vista fubar. If Linux can get support from the gaming companies and proper flash support (for me Flash plug-in container eats 90% of my CPU on some sites causing Flash games and video to lag at unbearable slowness). I have a friend with a Droid phone and he is always bragging its superiority to my Blackberry. My phone and the plan were a gift and are paid for. But he and I are in to gaming and this is a huge downside to Linux. Sure you can run some games in wine or Vbox but they add extra strain to resources. My machine would have to be 3 times as powerful to as a Windows machine just to play the same game. As for the command line, the average schlub is a lazy computer user. They want to click click click and solve a problem with built-in troubleshooting or tech support from someone who has to read word for word out of the manual. I love the command line. I have mine set to super-T and it is exponentially faster than hunting a menu looking for the solution or menu. But I love the classical things and a lot people find the command line a bit archaic. Also free to a lot of people equals wrong or illegal and they assume it can't be stable or usable. I love Linux. I spent a lot of money getting my PC to be the best it could be and now Windows will no longer run on it. Go figure that my combination of hardware is supported by Linux but not Windows. Nobody has yet explain this but I wish I could show this to the world as a major score for Linux :mrgreen:
I know my ranting hasn't been the most helpful format and I apologize if I sound like I'm nagging. My point is most people want everything they are used to to at least run as smooth on Linux as it did on MacWindows. I personally dislike the Windows look and lack of free customizable options. My sister uses Windows and wants it look my Mint environment but she has to pay $10-$90 just to get a few themes and icons to last more than
30 days :lol:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Yes, many computer users are very spoiled today. I remember back in the 80's before windows was windows and you used a DOS shell for everything. I learned the commands and figured out how to do all the things that Windows does now using just the command line and simple menus. Even going online (before the internet) to Compuserve to download games, and dialing up to Bulletin Boards (phone numbers were advertised in computer magazines and even in the newspapers) using my Atari 800XL and a 300 baud modem :lol: . Now we just have to point and click unless we need to do something powerful under the hood.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

inktitan wrote:But I love the classical things and a lot people find the command line a bit archaic.
Even many "power users" think this. They think that the GUI is somehow superior because it's pretty... and because Windows uses it so much.
inktitan wrote:Also free to a lot of people equals wrong or illegal and they assume it can't be stable or usable.
Ah yes, I played a game of Left 4 Dead where I somehow brought up Linux and some kid was going on about how only poor companies that can't afford Windows use Linux. Of course I then brought up the TOP500 :lol:
paulo.delavega
Level 2
Level 2

Post by paulo.delavega »

Speaking as a new Linux user (started using it 8 months ago).

Most people that use Linux for the first time try to do the same things they did in Windows (or OS X, whatever). And they get quite frustrated when they realize that Linux is not an open source Windows and don't try to imitate it.

A great step would be showing those people how does Linux (Mint) work BEFORE they download it and test the live CD.

How about some videos to show a little about Linux Mint? Like 5 minutes videos showing the look and feel, how to customize the look, some programs like Gimp, OpenOffice and the video players, how to download and install new programs, why Linux doesn't need antivirus...

I know there are some videocasts on Youtube, but it would be nice to have something "official".
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

paulo.delavega wrote:Speaking as a new Linux user (started using it 8 months ago).

Most people that use Linux for the first time try to do the same things they did in Windows (or OS X, whatever). And they get quite frustrated when they realize that Linux is not an open source Windows and don't try to imitate it.

A great step would be showing those people how does Linux (Mint) work BEFORE they download it and test the live CD.

How about some videos to show a little about Linux Mint? Like 5 minutes videos showing the look and feel, how to customize the look, some programs like Gimp, OpenOffice and the video players, how to download and install new programs, why Linux doesn't need antivirus...

I know there are some videocasts on Youtube, but it would be nice to have something "official".
+1.
I too like the idea of Official Linux Mint How To's and What's What videos.
utsuwa

Post by utsuwa »

You know, most users who would even consider going the Linux way will not do that without a friend who can help them and fix stuff. I mean normal, not knowing computers much, people. Most of them will not even know about Linux to consider switching. But if they do they cannot do it by themselves. So, you know when you can get all those people to switch? Wait for the perfect opportunity = "broken computer" or "old computer". Which will happen with 100% chance while they are using that other OS. Its just unavoidable. So, this is where you, a friend to such person-in-distress, "get" them by suggesting a switch.

They can't run the latest version of that OS on the old computer anyway, so they are considering it junk and useless. Ready to throw it out. Show them how fast, usefull and beautiful it can be with Linux on it.
They can't fix the "broken computer" themselves and you can save them money by not taking it to the "customer service" where they'll just loose all the data (best case scenario) or will be told "its time to upgrade your ___" (fill in the blanks). Let them appreciate money saved and freedom from viruses, etc.

Before doing that try to get as much info about what they are usually using it for. Mail, youtube, etc.
While doing that explain - Linux is a different world from other OSes. You can't use your .exe files most of time, but there are plenty of alternatives. Show them alternatives.

There probably will not be a bad outcome out of this, after all they almost threw the computer out...
Cheesethief

Post by Cheesethief »

When I first switched to linux I did it because my computer was so being extremely slow on windows. (no, not because of viruses).
The computer had its "warm up" time during which it was a pain to start any kind of web browser.

I was not feeling like spending hundreds of dollars on a brand new computer and so I tried out Ubuntu and liked how fast it was and that viruses weren't a threat almost. Eventually I found my way to Linux Mint. The switch was a lot easier for me because I did not use many windows only programs and the programs that I used had linux counterparts and in most cases were much simpler to use.
pythagorean

Post by pythagorean »

Linux Mint is easier and cheaper than Windows or Mac in the same sort of way that taking the train is easier and cheaper than driving. When you need a car, you need a car. Waiting for the train is a hassle.

You have to come to the notion of "easier and cheaper" from a particular philosophical point of view before you will really see Linux/Mint as easier and cheaper. For example, the time you spend on a forum looking for solutions is counted as costing $0.

I think that people should be incentivized to use linux mint along other lines besides pandering to the lowest common denominator with "easier and cheaper."
paulo.delavega
Level 2
Level 2

Post by paulo.delavega »

Brazil has a major problem when it comes to promoting Linux to Windows users.

Most people that buy a Linux computer is doing so because it's cheaper. They don't really want to use Linux, they want someone to install Windows (usually pirate) for them.
And most of the computers that come with Linux pre-installed come with lousy distros. My girlfriend, for example, bought a PC with the awful Red Flag Linux 6.
These distros scare new users away.

So I sent an e-mail to HP (no answer yet, though) suggesting that they started to use Mint as their default Linux distros, so that more people would want to try Linux PCs, instead of just buying them to install Windows...

It would be a HUGE step if the manufacturers distributed their computers with Mint pre-installed.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

So I sent an e-mail to HP (no answer yet, though) suggesting that they started to use Mint as their default Linux distros, so that more people would want to try Linux PCs, instead of just buying them to install Windows...
That's wishful thinking. BTW, a certain Katherine Noyes is doing a fine job in that direction with her tweets, and articles in pc world, a magazine reputably catering mainly to Windows users. http://twitter.com/noyesk, http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/author/62 ... s/articles.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
vardomescro

Post by vardomescro »

excellent ideas! Throwing my .02 in so I can find them easier :lol:

Re: the Windows v Linux v Whateva, I always think of culture shock. If it's change, it's hard.
jonny75904

Post by jonny75904 »

The problem is, most people are naturally closed minded when it comes to linux. Life is already complicated enough without having to relearn how to use a computer. There has to be a drive and desire to accept the challenge of adopting a new OS.

How do you get the masses to step out of their comfort zone and try something new? By showing them how linux solves a common problem, then you market the distribution on those merits: "This distribution of linux installs as a windows program, allows you to rip Blu-Rays, runs facebook faster, and supports HDMI output to flat TVs."

If you market is based on the problems it solves, rather than it's own merits, that is how you draw people in. The average user doesn't care about things like file systems, or packages, reliability (clearly not given windows' popularity), all they care about is if it can do what they want, and it has to be easier than windows to draw them in.
cliste

Post by cliste »

I think that if you were to make a tutorial it would look far better run off something like Desktop Recorder with a voiceover explaining what you're upto. The quality from a camera looking at any type of monitor is always poor..

But yeah I definitely think that it's a good idea for the tutorial vids :D

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”