LMDE based on sid

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

LMDE based on sid

Post by KenWeiLL »

I've seen discussions about changing LMDE from testing to stable (upcoming squeeze) but have not encountered changing from testing to sid (unstable).

Well, I just did change the repo from testing to sid, on multimedia, i changed to experimental.
So far, almost all went well. I did dist-upgrade and only encountered one problem.

"W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/ ... -2_all.deb
Hash Sum mismatch"

Other than that, everything seems smooth.

I've tested several distro before on this same PC I'm using right now, all of them have slow performance when it comes to flash with my machine. Haven't tried flash with LMDE based on Testing. I have tested flash on my machine only after dist-upgrading with sid repos. I was surprised with flash performance. It's as smooth as playing flash games on winxp. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
mati75

Re: LMDE based on sid

Post by mati75 »

For fix this problem you must run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f
I have that some problem on normal install debian sid.
ugh

Post by ugh »

I upgraded LMDE to Sid without issue as well. Nice and snappy just as you'd expect.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm I don't know - I mean sid and testing aren't THAT much apart from each other (even now when squeeze is already frozen) so, apart from the aparently better sevurity on sid, right now I'd rather think "why bother?"
I don't know how up-to-date that extra security repo for testing is so even that might not be an issue. Anyway, testing is less likely to break and not so far behind...
omenest

Post by omenest »

gotjazz wrote:...aparently better sevurity on sid, right now I'd rather think "why bother?"
I don't know how up-to-date that extra security repo for testing is so even that might not be an issue.
Firstly, sid has no security team whatsoever. Testing does in the freeze phase.
Secondly, when Debian pushes 6.0 codename 'Squeeze' current testing will be replaced by packages that are currently in sid.
Thirdly, the "extra security repository" is enabled by default, so if you haven't messed with your sources list, it should still be there.

As far as Debian base goes, sid is the only true rolling distro among all it's flavors. Price to pay for this is lack of security and potential system instability, but this is nothing that common sense (TM) can't mitigate. If anything, the dangers it carries should make you read up on changelogs and forums, hell, maybe even learn something in the process before you hit that update all button.

Running sid is the nerd way of living on the edge :lol:
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

mati75 wrote:For fix this problem you must run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f
Thanks, but it didn't solve the problem.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
anamnesis

Post by anamnesis »

KenWeiLL wrote:
mati75 wrote:For fix this problem you must run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f
Thanks, but it didn't solve the problem.
No wonder. $ sudo apt-get -f install might solve your problems.
vincent

Post by vincent »

omenest wrote:As far as Debian base goes, sid is the only true rolling distro among all it's flavors.
Not quite; Testing is also qualified as a rolling release distro, it's just that updates take a bit more time to trickle down from Unstable to Testing. You'd always be a bit behind Unstable in terms of cutting-edge-ness, but you'll be able to run Testing for an indefinite amount of time without having to re-install (until you're bored of Debian, or you break it so badly for some reason that you have to re-install); isn't that what "rolling release" means?
indaymadel

Post by indaymadel »

vincent wrote: Not quite; Testing is also qualified as a rolling release distro, it's just that updates take a bit more time to trickle down from Unstable to Testing. You'd always be a bit behind Unstable in terms of cutting-edge-ness, but you'll be able to run Testing for an indefinite amount of time without having to re-install (until you're bored of Debian, or you break it so badly for some reason that you have to re-install); isn't that what "rolling release" means?
PCLinuxOS is a rolling release, yet it's stable. I even think, as I've what observed, that it's even more bleeding edge than Debian Sid itself.
sumski

Post by sumski »

I think Sid is currrently maybe most stable of all "released" distros, because they are preparing Squeeze for release, and packages must first come into Sid, so at this time there isn't any of the bleeding edge packages in Sid. If you want upstream packages, enable Experimental. (Wouldn't recommend it,only if you pick individual packages)
reference2myself

Post by reference2myself »

I just upgraded to sid too, the only problem I had was with pidgin, uninstalling "pidgin-facebookchat" fixed it
Scorpio_Snake

Post by Scorpio_Snake »

I ran Sid for 6 months with only one problem and it wasn't a problem specific to Sid. Sid is actually very stable, though it does have the potential to have problems. I wouldn't use it for servers, but it seems fine for a desktop. I have been thinking about upgrading my LMDE to Sid as well.
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Can some one tell me what the right sid security line must be i get a 404 on that.
vincent

Post by vincent »

There is no "security" repository for Sid, like there is for stable and testing. Sid simply moves too fast for the Debian security team to handle, and besides, security fixes land up in newer upstream versions to packages in Sid fairly quickly.
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Thanks for the quick answer.

Return to “LMDE Archive”