Can't play audio CDs

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
GravityGilly

Can't play audio CDs

Post by GravityGilly »

Well, I can only play them in a very roundabout way.

I'm running LMDE 32-bit, and whenever I insert an audio CD it does seem to be mounted ("Audio Disc" icon on the desktop). If I open the CD in Nautilus, I'm prompted to open Rhythmbox, which is where the problems come in.

If I open Rhythmbox and tell it to play the CD, it promptly crashes with no error messages or anything descriptive at all. Exaile is a similar story.
If I open Totem, and tell it to play the CD, I get "The playback of this movie requires a Audio CD source plugin which is not installed." I have no idea what plugin that could be - as far as I can tell all the gstreamer plugins are installed, just looking at Synaptic.
Lastly, I can get CDs to play in VLC, but not from Nautilus. If I try right click > open with > VLC, I get "VLC is unable to open the MRL 'cdda://sr0/Track%201.wav'. Check the log for details." However, if I open VLC first, select Open Disc, select Audio CD and press play, I finally get playback (after applying this fix: http://linuxbsdos.com/forum/thread-61.html).

Obviously something's wrong here, as I used to be able to play CDs on my old Mint 9 installation. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
EchoLynx

SATA Drive?

Post by EchoLynx »

I am having the exact same problem. Thought I couldn't play audio cds at all until I found the fix you posted.

I was wondering... does your optical drive happen to be a SATA optical drive?
CiaW

Re: Can't play audio CDs

Post by CiaW »

I have a similar issue, though when I insert an audio CD VLC comes up with the message: "VLC is unable to open the MRL 'cdda://sr0/.' Check the log for details." (What log?) , if I then select >file >open disc it's defaulting to DVD, if I then select Audio CD then play, it'll play. Or if I close VLC and right click on the audio cd icon on my desktop and ask it to open with rhythmbox, it'll open then I can play from there too.

So, it appears that VLC and perhaps totem is defaulting to DVD instead of CD when an audio cd is put into a dvd drive; even though the icon says 'audio CD'? I'm not sure how to fix it, at least I can get it to play after clicking a few things.
drzoo2

Post by drzoo2 »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=62779

I had a similar problem. Never got it fixed.
Morrog

Post by Morrog »

i have the same on a 32 bit LMDE. i found the trailing / is causing problems. so i created a custom command in nautilus > edit > preferences > media > cd audio

Code: Select all

vlc cdda:///dev/sr0
this seems to solve it for me. there must be a more elegant solution involving a conf file somewhere or a gconf setting, but i haven't found that for now.

Return to “LMDE Archive”