recent update about boot dependencies???

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2

recent update about boot dependencies???

Post by houndhen »

Not sure what it was about but it gave me a choice whether to except it or not. Said it was recommended and that I could do it later by entering a command from the console. It said something about more efficient or faster booting. I was unsure of what it was about so I unchecked the check box. I thought it might mess with grub and didn't want that. I know this is vague but does anyone know what this was about and what it was supposed to make better?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thanks,
Harold
viking777

Re: recent update about boot dependencies???

Post by viking777 »

The last update I got that might affect grub was grub itself. (grub-common and grub-pc). That was yesterday (15th).

1.98+20100804-13 is the version I have now.

I can't notice any difference in the boot process because of that though.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I remember seeing that boot option. I left mine checked for the new stuff and accepted it. Nothing has exploded or caught fire on my desk yet. I had already forgotten about it, actually. ;-)
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
mph

Post by mph »

I didn't uncheck those check boxes during the installation. After booting the system, my dual boot Ubuntu wasn't found anymore. I tried to reconfigure the GRUB with the command 'sudo update-grub' but it finds only the LMDE. I'm not very familiar with the GRUB, can somebody help me how to reconfigure it (if needed, I can provide more data about my partitioning etc.).
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by houndhen »

mph wrote:I didn't uncheck those check boxes during the installation. After booting the system, my dual boot Ubuntu wasn't found anymore. I tried to reconfigure the GRUB with the command 'sudo update-grub' but it finds only the LMDE. I'm not very familiar with the GRUB, can somebody help me how to reconfigure it (if needed, I can provide more data about my partitioning etc.).
This is what I was afraid of because I still run grub legacy as my boot manager. I just chainload the distros that insist on using grub2. I may have to use grub2 at some point in the future but I prefer the simplicity of grub legacy.

To answer you question about reconfiguring grub; I am not the one to give an answer. I don't understand all the ins and outs of installing, using, reconfiguring either grub. I just know enough to get me in trouble. But it looks like I may have made the right choice with this update.
Thanks,
Harold
viking777

Post by viking777 »

houndhen wrote:This is what I was afraid of because I still run grub legacy as my boot manager. I just chainload the distros that insist on using grub2. I may have to use grub2 at some point in the future but I prefer the simplicity of grub legacy.
I work exactly the same as you do (ie multiboot with grub legacy chainloading several grub2 distros). My system has been fine and I have installed all available LMDE updates.
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by houndhen »

It didn't seem to me that there was enough information in the help section for me to be sure of the outcome for my system. I realize that a lot of people just go with grub2 but I think simpler is better. That's just me. Linux is about choice and I am not a computer guru but sometimes I have learned enough to know that some choices (changes) might not be good for me.
Thanks,
Harold
viking777

Post by viking777 »

houndhen wrote:It didn't seem to me that there was enough information in the help section for me to be sure of the outcome for my system. I realize that a lot of people just go with grub2 but I think simpler is better. That's just me. Linux is about choice and I am not a computer guru but sometimes I have learned enough to know that some choices (changes) might not be good for me.
I only made the previous post for information purposes, I am not trying to convince you of anything. If you are canny enough to know that using grub legacy is preferable to using grub2, you should be confident in your other choices as well. :)
mph

Post by mph »

I managed to solve my booting problem. I ran the command 'sudo update-grub' several times, and I also mounted my Ubuntu partition.

I'm not sure which one was the actual solution: maybe running 'sudo update-grub' only once is enough if the partition including the another Linux system (to be dual booted) is mounted?
awong
Level 2
Level 2

Post by awong »

The culprit is:
sysv-rc and three other packages

"This package provides support for the System-V like system for booting, changing runlevels, and shutting down, configured through symbolic links in /etc/rc?.d/."

I haven't heard any reviews of this at all, but I haven't actively been searching for it. I unchecked the box as well.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

awong wrote:The culprit is:
sysv-rc and three other packages

"This package provides support for the System-V like system for booting, changing runlevels, and shutting down, configured through symbolic links in /etc/rc?.d/."

I haven't heard any reviews of this at all, but I haven't actively been searching for it. I unchecked the box as well.
Oh OK Thanks for that.

I have that update as well, it makes no discernible difference to either the boot process or the stability of the system, so if you haven't updated it then don't fret - you aren't missing much. On the other hand if you do decide to update you are unlikely to burst into flames at the first reboot :lol:

Return to “LMDE Archive”