LDME version of this?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
yeleek

LDME version of this?

Post by yeleek »

Is there an LDME version of this? Its a bit old, so wanted to check before trying it.

http://lovingthepenguin.blogspot.com/20 ... ueeze.html

I've issues with font rendering (just firefox), have tried this
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 96&start=0
but no joy.

Any other options?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: LDME version of this?

Post by tdockery97 »

According to the mint blog, the latest LMDE has the 'buntu libcairo/fonts.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
yeleek

Post by yeleek »

I installed and updated all yesterday. Anything else to be done?

I mean other apps (openoffice, opera) look fine. Firefox looks like a browsing experience from windows 98.....

Thanks
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Don't know about Firefox. I use Chromium and it looks great.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

yeleek wrote:I installed and updated all yesterday. Anything else to be done?

I mean other apps (openoffice, opera) look fine. Firefox looks like a browsing experience from windows 98.....

Thanks
I believe you can tweak Firefox font settings by typing

Code: Select all

about:config
into the URL bar and scrolling down to the various font settings. Not the easiest way to do it, but you may also have the option to have it follow system font settings like Chromium partially does.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

If you download and install one of the new isos of LMDE that were released since December, then you would have the updated version that has the libcairo patching and other stuff that Clem added so that LMDE can have the excellent font rendering of the mint's (ubuntu based) main edition...
And lMDE now looks great and you don't need (and shouldn't do) any personal "tweaking" regarding font rendering...
So, if you are using the original iso and would prefer not have to do a lot of personal tweaking you might want to consider re-installing with one of those...

Mint 10 additions into LMDE also include the availability for ubuntu fonts as well...With firefox, if you want to use those particular fonts (instead of say, windows fonts) you can just select them in the font section of firefox....for Chromium you have to use the Ubuntu Font extension plug in from Chrome to force pages to use them..

I used the Ubuntu fonts in Chromium for awhile but ended up going back to the ttf-mscorefonts that i originally installed from the software manager...
But you do not need to use the actual ubuntu fonts for the great font rendering, that is already there with those new "patches" he added..

The original LMDE iso had crappy font rendering, which is why many here who had installed it were doing their own personal tweaking...not needed anymore...

For best rendering, use Clem's new iso with the patches and use Chromium or the Chrome browser instead because that browser has the best font rendering and that would give you the ideal combination :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”