LMDE Wine and Serial Comms

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
PeggySue

LMDE Wine and Serial Comms

Post by PeggySue »

I have been using Ubuntu from 7.04, then Mint from Mint 8 and have just switched to LMDE. (It seemed like a good idea at the time.)
I have to use Wine to run a mapping application called Memory Map V5. There is no Linux equivalent. It has always worked acceptably until I came to LMDE; now I have no serial comms for the GPS. I normally connect via a 9 pin RS 232 line but have also tried a USB to serial adapter.

The version of Wine that works with Mint 9 is 1.2-0ubuntu6~lucid5 but the closest I can find for debian is wine1.2_1.2.orig.tar.gz.
I have tried 1.2; 1.2.2; 1.1.42 and the debian repository version which is an ancient 1.0. I even tried an Ubuntu repository but that failed as well.
Between each attempt I uninstalled Wine and deleted the .wine folder.

Having trawled the net I now see that Wine is in complete disarray. I had been buffered from this by using Ubuntu repositories.
Does anyone have any ideas how to get Wine to work with serial comms on LDME please.

Linux Mint is nice so I could stick with that but would have liked to run LDME.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: LMDE Wine and Serial Comms

Post by zerozero »

hi,
you have wine 1.3 in frickelplatz repo.
I have no idea if will solve your problem but you can give it a go (and its a proper Debian pkg)

Code: Select all

# deb http://frickelplatz.de/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
PeggySue

Post by PeggySue »

Thanks for the idea but 1.3 doesn't work either; I'll add it to the list of failures!! I always worry that continual install / uninstall could introduce it's own problems. Maybe I should try again with a fresh LDME install in a spare partition.

Wine version 1.3 is getting a lot of bad press at the moment. Rumor has it that it breaks more applications than it adds!!

Thanks again.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

well no problem,
anyway according to this thread in the Debian forum you can get wine 1.2 from the Mepis repo. Follow cragevil instructions in post 2

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54696

Return to “LMDE Archive”