LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gazza

Re: LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist

Post by gazza »

Great to hear you are back on the job ikey :)

Half of what you wrote is beyond me, the other half was in my 'paper cuts' list, just one thing missing, a gui to switch on/off compiz, also a note, when compiz is enabled , alt f2 and alt tab are not available.

I do have an issue with mintupdates, if it fails to fetch (bandwidth clogged, no internet connection) , when you do it manually, after updates install, the icon disappears, leaving a blank space in the panel, and it mixes up the icons, xchat icon becomes mintupdates, transmission is xchat , and the blank spot is transmission (in my particular case). to fix I right click panel, expand it, then unexpand it, icons are back and correct..
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Here's what is New-In-Squeeze > http://wiki.debian.org/NewInSqueeze

The 'stable' release of Debian 6.0 Squeeze is slated for Feb, 5-6, 2011.

What can we add to what Debian has done to make Mint better?

Add a Conky, as default ... simple or elaborate, either or. With an added list of short-cuts (much like what Crunchbang's default Conky does)

Make the default color scheme of Mint Menu blend in, with the default, color scheme of the entire release.
Usually the Mint theme is a variation of 'green' but the Mint Menu is 'blue' themed.

But, YES ... LMDE needs it's own wallpaper and themes.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

great to have back! welcome back to your boat :)

nr 1 in my wish-list (and its not for me, but for the new-comers): a port of jockey-gtk. I see some "bad press" from new users trying LMDE for the first time and giving up because there's no easy and intuitive way of adding graphic and wireless card drivers
justin

Post by justin »

Let's clear up some things here.

We want to be able to fix things that are already out there and target a lot of wishlist items. I am actively working on bugs and assigning them around, along with starting to prototype some new applications. Others are actively working on creating new features and fixing bugs. The more seamless it is, the better it is for everyone.

We have plans on updating the installer and bringing it to the forefront of the system. The aim will be to add the functionality described.
I'd love to get more artwork and generate a unique idea for LMDE.
The Mint tools should be extended where applicable and add some critical (and nice!) features like snapshots.
We'd love to create a graphics driver installation tool
Other tools where applicable that you may or may not see but will make your life much sweeter ;)

Right now I believe we are at the time to form our own thoughts on what this should be. We've tested the waters and its come out successful and the feedback from the community has been amazing. All of us are truly lucky to have such a community behind us, it drives each of us to be the best at what we do and deliver for the community. We can't thank everyone enough for the opportunities.

I propose the phrase (taken from Futurama) -- "If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." The logic is if we do things as right as we would like them to be, no one will be sure what was done before we got there, or what we did. Things not noticed are things that are working properly. Use your OS, don't work around it. You shouldn't have to think about it.

That, in the end, is the goal. Beauty in simplicity encompassing form and function.

Thank you for driving us. Hats off to the Mint community.

Justin
IRC Admin
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Since LMDE is going to need a DVD for the ISO anyway, perhaps a few packages could be included such as "ttf-liberation." I was surprised to not see those fonts installed by default. The "apt-xapian-index" package seems to be a requested one for Synaptic, as well.

I agree that LMDE-specific wallpapers should be included. Wallpapers with 9 and 10 on them are nice, but just do not match LMDE.
With the default icons, Firefox looks out of place with a round icon versus a square one. Anyone notice this besides me?
Also with the default icons, why does Gwibber have a Twitter icon? Is it automatically assumed everyone uses Twitter? Some of us use identi.ca. :wink:

Notice that I am picking at the minor details. That is because overall, LMDE is excellent. I am having to stretch to find things to suggest.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Firstly, I agree with all of the above suggestions. As one who uses LMDE many, many hours per day, I also am very appreciative of the time and effort that all of the devs and testers put in to make LMDE such a great distro. The one additional default app I would like to see included is Google Earth. While it is much easier to install now than it was in the 201009 version of LMDE, there are still some people having issues with it. I feel that if it was included by default it would remove minor aggravation experienced by some.

As for myself, I am happily using the 201012 64bit LMDE now, and hopefully will never have to worry about a reinstall. At least not untill I upgrade to a newer computer; and even then I can hopefully just install a cloned partition of my 201012 installation. :mrgreen:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm i have two little paper-cuts to add:
1. make lmde sport a sexier name in grub than "linuxmint gnu blabla"
2. if ubuntu packages are imported, make sure there's no conflicts
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/695621 makes it hard to build almost anything on lmde right now if one doesn't either want to install things from experimental or sift through a dependency jungle to downgrade some packages....

edit: oh and iirc ntp had to be installed manually on ldme. should really be included by default imho.

edit2: another thing i'd really like to see - but i realize this might be the wrong place for it as the lmde team also has a distro to maintain and not unlimited manpower - is a nice gui tool to configure pulse audio. YOu know stuff like making sure vlc uses my desktop speakers over the front speaker plug while the rear one is connected to my stereo which in turn is being fed by banshee. Or easily choose between having multichannel stuff being properly distributed surround-style or mixed down to two identical stereo signals etc......

edit 3 (last one - i promise): if I'm not mistaken, mint-update still uses the ubuntu-base settings, right? I use apt-get only atm so I don't have a lot of experience with it but I'm thinking excluding kernel and x updates by default is a bit against the whole point of a rolling release distro isn't it? I mean 2.6.32 is not going to run so well in da debian environment with recent packages 5 years from now I'd guess. So mintupdate would have to be either made to update everything or be adapted in some way to maybe hold every package back until it has been cleared in some central database. (which again is a manpower issue I'd guess).
But that way lmde might be behind testing a day or two but if a package that causes a problem manages to get into testing (not a very common event probably) it'd be caught.....
Last edited by gotjazz on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Welcome back IKEY. I have not Suggestions at this point. Just glad to see you back. :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Small thing I've noticed....during partitioning, you have to format /....The thing I normally do is wipe the partition before a install---I'm using UUID's with 4 other installs...makes more work to edit every other install due to a forced reformat.

As far as art work---how about the Debian swirl redone in Minty green?
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Welcome back Ikey!

On my wish list for LMDE would be an option, at the end of the installation sequence, giving a choice whether or not to install the additional language packs. At present, I usually get on to something else, not computer related, when installing and come back to find that the language packs are being installled - takes forever :lol: Do I really need them?
olle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olle »

ikey wrote:
Look & Feel
  • I'd love for LMDE to sport its own default artwork + wallpapers
I would like to see the mint green colour when booting. Not the metal grey as it is now, like in LM10.

The Green Mint is the Trade Mark, well created and established, why give it away ?

Olli
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Welcome back, Ikey :)
LMDE needs auto-installer options just like main edition has...I e-mailed Clem about it and he agreed though i got the impression it might take him some time to do that...but it would be nice if that could get "stepped up" a bit :wink:

I had never did manual partitioning and without the assistance of a very kind soul on the forums who is a whiz at installations, i would'nt be running LMDE right now...so those newbie friendly features are sorely needed...The two auto installer options need are 1) wipe your entire system and replace with this new system and 2) Place side by side with your other system(s)....

There is a minor bug in both live dvd and actual install where you have to manually get to the mouse settings (by using manual clicking on your laptop) to turn on the touchpad "tap" so when using LMDE on a laptop it is a bit of inconvenience until you can get in there and turn it on....

Also "Mint Update" is defaulted to level 3 (as in the main edition)...but on this debian based edition, shouldn't all 5 levels be on at default?
(wasn't sure on that one)...

Those are my suggestions :D I love my LMDE 64 bit and by the way, Clem did a terrific job with the libcairo (ubuntu font rendering) patching...it looks just like ubuntu now! (a compliment in that department of course...lol)...
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm with all the app-requests that sometimes come in maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea instead of bloating the iso to just bloat the sources.list a little. nothing big like hadret but some single-app repos maybe (virtualbox, google-earth, skype, maybe chrome etc) that are less likely to cause dependency confusion.

oh and please please please for iso #3 - a clean default fstab would be awesome :)

and like everyone the things i mention are mainly paper-cuts. I wouldn't even be here if lmde wasn't my favorite distro :D
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

A quick whip-up for desktop wallpaper :)

Another thought (triggered by an other forum thread), the "standard" Mint version uses Female names---how about the Debian version using Male names......just a passing thought.......
gurtz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gurtz »

Hi, I'm new here. Created an account for the sole purpose of replying to this thread :D

First of all, thanks to everyone who puts so much effort into creating such a great distribution! Very cool!

My wish: I would LOVE to see full-disk encryption included in the installer ... possibly in place of, or in addition to, home directory encryption.

Thanks much,
Gurtz
RHTopics
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RHTopics »

One suggestion would be to have both a stable and testing version of LMDE. These two versions would parallel with Debian stable and testing. This would require a new LMDE stable repository where the packages it contains would not cause dependency problems for persons wanting to stay with Debian Squeeze.

An LMDE stable version would give a long term solid platform for those that like LMDE and value the stability that Debian 6.0 (Squeeze) will offer.
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

I'll add to those saying welcome back Ikey. Reading through the rest of the thread reminded me of 1 thing I'd like to add to the wish-list and that is to have mintupdate have an option or just default to use debdelta for updates, saving download sizes, etc. I'm not sure if that's do-able, but on Fedora yum and yumex both default to use presto (which downloads and processes the delta rpms).

When I see updates of several megabytes (like open office) I close out mint update and use a root terminal for the update so I can use debdelta. Otherwise I'm pretty happy. :mrgreen:
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

More power options?? YES :) The partitioner needs more love--I posted my little wish/want earlier.....smxi/sgfxi I have not worked with (due to coming from Ubuntu), but I would really like to explore that....

Also...what kind of testing/Q&A work are you needing? I was involved with Ubuntu testing & would like to get involved in that end of this community....I enjoy working with the unstable edge of software--so testing sets well with me ;) (please PM me if you know of a good fit) Thinking of that---It would be great to have a option in the installer to optimise the sources.list for stable or testing & enable the bug checker with testing.......

As for a separate identity...I think its a must do to let everyone know that its not Ubuntu-based....coming from Ubuntu recently, I can foresee that there will be quite a few people looking for a new distro in the coming months & Mint having a Debian choice is a good one......
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Sounds great to me...I converted my last Natty-testing install to a Mint 10+ (lots of stuff was well in advance of Maverick) so I could continue my testing work with Gnome-Shell---would really like to do a straight Debian install for that, but I need libraries that even Debian testing can't supply--experimental has it, but Nautilus is kind'a b0rked right now--I have a Mint Debian install converted currently--not fun to use it, so I just chroot in to update it until I can......

Anything "expermintal" :) I'm game for---I'm set-up to go as high as a octoboot system--running a i7-940 ( o/c @ 3.8 ) with 2.2TB (formatted) worth of 7200rpm drives.....1TB is reserved for storage & backups.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

ikey wrote:Lots of storage.. I might just have a use for you yet :mrgreen: Looking to replace mintbackup.. :D
LOL--I'm in the Pacific-NorthWest...might be more "cloud" than backup........

Return to “LMDE Archive”