LMDE need sources

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dante19992

LMDE need sources

Post by dante19992 »

alright everyone im just now starting over from scratch with a brand new LMDE(cuz unfortunately i killed my second installation of it). i need sources :P can u gimme some sources that u trust? as well can u gimme the line for the passkey if it needs one and tell me what u use it for? for example things for like the firfox beta or for snes express (the only gtk interface that works on LMDE 64 for snes9x) things like that. please and thank u :D also if u have any warnings plz dont forget to add them plz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: LMDE need sources

Post by zerozero »

sorry to ear about that :o

in here http://sites.google.com/site/mydebiansourceslist/ you have a very comprehensive list of Debian repos. Basically everything is there.

- use it at your own risk :lol: , you have there warnings about the safest and the risky options;
- Being LMDE based in testing always choose squeeze or testing when you have that option;
- again, be careful, and keep the installation dvd near if you go this way
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

but will any new sources i add ffect my update manager? and if so it should remain only to software i have installed right?
also when i add this stuff is there a certain way i need to type it into my sources.list or anything like does LMDE recognize if i put it under sections? i am VERY new to LMDE.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

- when you adding a new source (a new repo) you are adding the ability of your system acquire new software;

- sometimes in those repos you can find new pkgs you had not installed yet and updates to others;

- the best way, IMHO, is, if you really need that pkg, add the repo, install the pkg (as long as it doesn't bring a lot of dependences with it) and disable the repo right after;

- i did that to install clementine, chromium-browser, minitunes, nautilus-elementary (not available anymore) and those are almost stand-alone apps, if i make myself clear, won't impact much in the system
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

well i mean tho is like is there a way to keep it from installing new software via the update manager? i need at least the frickelpatz for wine cuz i like having a maintained thingy-mah-bobber for wine cuz i use it alot.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

in the terminal

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list 
this will open your sources.list as root,
past in the end the line you want to add, save the file, and run synaptic
you will get a warning saying that the repo isn;t signed, but you can ignore it for now, synaptic will work the same
now you can see the upgradable and new pkgs in your system
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

thanks :P hopefully it wont try to tell me to install new stuff :P
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ohh that sorry :oops: :oops:
yes you can, once you add the repo to your source.list, even if you after disable it, it will still apear in synaptic on the 3rd part software, but disable, what you can do here is enable that particular repo say once every two weeks or once a month to check if there's an update for the app you want, and then disable it again. and you are safe
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

:P thank u for ur patience
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

no problem :D
you are welcome
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

just to be clear there is nothing i can do short of disabling the source to keep it from installing unnecessary stuff on my comp?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

once you disable it, it doesn't exist for synaptic

this is disabled

# deb http://frickelplatz.de/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
this is enabled

deb http://frickelplatz.de/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

well yes i understand this but i was wondering is there anyway to tell teh update manager not to have that source submit updates for software i dont already have from that source. you know a one time fix
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

can't really understand your question :oops:
can you please elaborate
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

ok i kno i can turn some sources off that way. what i wanna kno is if there is something i can do in the update manager preferences to turn off software updates for specific software if i do not have that software installed in that repo
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

It has been rare that I have noticed an update in Update Manager for a package which is not already installed. I would think it only does that if it is a package needed to support another being updated. There are many packages in the repos which are not installed and never show up in Update Manager. Just look at the Status bar in Synaptic, bottom left, I have 1527 packages installed while there are 29329 listed. Many of those packages which are not installed are prefixed with the Debian logo to the left of the package name. So it is not just 3rd party apps which are not installed.

Of course, I could be completely misunderstanding the concern presented and the intention of the logo in Synaptic.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

if now i got what you want, yes you can do that, in the update manager, edit, preferences, ignored pkgs, and there you can add rules for pkgs you don't want updates for.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

oooo ok well i had one get installed last time and it smashed my comp. but then that may have just been a glitch cuz the reason i freaked out was it kept saying i had a broken package and pidgin wouldnt update for sum reason (which is what broke my packages) thank u tho
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

upsss you got hit by the pidgin bug, really annoying one but we have several threads here in the forum about that;
all you had to do was remove pidgin facebook-chat and solved
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

so im rebuilding my LMDE for absolutely no reason? GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH -takes axe and murders pidgin developers in brutal sadistic sick ways-

Return to “LMDE Archive”