LMDE needs a codename

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dante19992

LMDE needs a codename

Post by dante19992 »

i havnt seen a forum or nutin about this but i think LMDE needs a codename. i say we sould place suggestions on here and if any moderators out there like one they should take it. ill be the first to make a suggestion. i say true to linuxmint style we should go with an elegant girls name. i suggest Angela.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: LMDE needs a codename

Post by Habitual »

WOPR or Joshua
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Ubuntu has some sort of descriptive animal name . . .

Debian has names of characters from Toy Story . . .

Crunchbang has names of Muppets . . .

LinuxMint, traditionally has names of women . . . (alphabetically and ending in "a") . . .

Do something original for LMDE . . . original IDEAS . . . ??
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

@Habitual
what does WOPR stand for

@vrkalak
if we are to original i think we should try "A Priori" meaning "from what comes before" i think it suits LMDE perfectly being an edition of linuxmint which is based off of the root of what the main edition is based off of. being a rolling distribution i dont see the codename changing often
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

dante19992 wrote:@Habitual
what does WOPR stand for
Boy, youngsters! :P
WOPR is a fictional military computer featured in the movie WarGames and its sequel. It is an acronym for War Operation Plan Response
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarGames#Plot

"Whistler" and "Mother" have no meaning to you either?
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

i saw wargames i just forgot. whistler just makes me think of blade and mother gives me nuthin i havnt seen wargames in a long time.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I think in honor of Clem's French heritage, and in keeping with it's Mint roots, it should be named:

MintheOS

:P
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

naw that sounds too much like LMDE is the main edition of LM
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

As Mint uses female names, why not male names for the Debian edition :) Keeping in step with the female names, we could end the male names with the letter 'o'.

A few suggestions. If we are going to start at the beginning of the alphabet - Alberto, Benito Ciscero, Donato, Edmundo, Fredo... No, I'm not Italian but can only think of Italian male names that end in the letter 'o'.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

vrkalak wrote:Debian has names of characters from Toy Story . . .
Sounds like we should follow a similar route for LMDE then. How about we name each release after a character in How To Train Your Dragon? :lol:
tzileon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tzileon »

randomizer wrote:
vrkalak wrote:Debian has names of characters from Toy Story . . .
Sounds like we should follow a similar route for LMDE then. How about we name each release after a character in How To Train Your Dragon? :lol:
How about starting with the names of the Twelve Olympians Gods from the Greek mythology, such as, Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Athena, Dionysus, Apollo, Artemis, Ares, Aphrodite, Hephaestus and Hermes. If there is a need to find more than these 12 names (difficult for a rolling distro), we can choose from the Heroes, such as Heracles, Perseus, Theseus or Odysseus, in a random order :)
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

yha since its a rolling distro i dont see the name changing so i thought one permanent codename would be awesome
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

dante19992 wrote:i saw wargames i just forgot. whistler just makes me think of blade and mother gives me nuthin i havnt seen wargames in a long time.
"Whistler" and "Mother" are characters from the movie Sneakers.

I'm a dinosaur. Rawr!
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

eh dont feel bad im only 18. but then again ur also talking to a guy who likes jimmy stewart and cary grant movies. like bringing up baby and its a wonderful life. or even harvey
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

nah - why a codename? that's only to tell apart releases - and there are no different versions of a rolling release......
(only respins fo rmore convenient installation - that's a big difference)
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Personally, I think that the letters/initials/anagram designation for LinuxMintDebianEdition suits it just fine = LMDE

Already, the letters LMDE have established, the Mint/Debian release -- as a recognizable entity in the Linux / World community.

Definitely, a Linux 'buzzword' . . . everyone is talking about 'LMDE' :D
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

@vralak: exactly. now all we have to do is get rid of all the 10s and maybe some own branding so people start using "mint debian 10" or "lmde 10"
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

just because it would be cool for LMDE to have its own codename even if it wont really change. im sure many users agree. and it will still be seen as LMDE just as julia is still called LM10. it would just be cool
gazza

Post by gazza »

Just looking at this thread and seeing the argument about this being a rolling release, so why bother with code names. My $0.02 says sure it is rolling, but we are working on Spin 3 now , and I myself like the 'fuzzy' feeling you get from names. 3 just doesn't do it for me.

I'm really no authority on this, but gather mint main is based on females with the letter 'a' on the end. So my suggestion is (I'm a bias male) , stick with the minty theme, but with a twist, make it the letter 'd' for debian release. So in my books, we've had

spin 1 Anghard (Well Loved) welsh
spin 2 Bridgid (Patron Saint of Ireland) Irish [201012 spin, was a bit irish]
spin 3 Clarimond (Light from the new world, Brilliant protector) Old French German (Clarimund, Clarymond, Clarymund).

reference http://www.aussiethings.com.au/babynames/cgirl.htm
what does peoples thinks?
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

It's not 10. anything.
It's LMD6.0/T or Mint Squeeze.
Next will be LMD7.0/T

Return to “LMDE Archive”