Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

New Functionality with Liquorix Kernel 2.6.37-0.dmz.4-nnn

Post by joutlan »

Code: Select all

john@precision ~ $ uname -a
Linux precision 2.6.37-0.dmz.4-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 18 00:15:22 CST 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
john@precision ~ $
Since I installed this kernel on my Dell Precision m6500 Laptop, the following has magically starting working:

Suspend to Ram
Suspend to Disk
Internal Microphone and Microphone in Skype

If you were having similar problems, I'd like your feedback on the latest Liquorix Kernel.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: New Functionality with Liquorix Kernel 2.6.37-0.dmz.4-nn

Post by willie42 »

My systems seems to run faster and smoother with Liquorix.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

I've tried everything to get suspend and my mic working...and then I go install the newest Liquorix kernel, and bam...it all starts working ! That sure made it easy :) Installing that kernel is a no brainer for me. The Kernel is catching up with HW; it always seems to lag about a year for me because I upgrade HW often.
Last edited by joutlan on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

well the Kernel will always be a little behind thats why I never get the modern up to date mainboards when I build. I always lag a year or 2 behind so all my stuff works out of the box. I think thats were alot of people lack some understanding. Some expect the older stuff to work with the newer kernels when they won't with the older drivers having to be removed for the newer drivers and on the other hand the brand new stuff lacks support because the people writing the code don't have time or in most cases the specs to be able to update the Kernel fast enough. :D
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

willie42 wrote:well the Kernel will always be a little behind thats why I never get the modern up to date mainboards when I build. I always lag a year or 2 behind so all my stuff works out of the box. I think thats were alot of people lack some understanding. Some expect the older stuff to work with the newer kernels when they won't with the older drivers having to be removed for the newer drivers and on the other hand the brand new stuff lacks support because the people writing the code don't have time or in most cases the specs to be able to update the Kernel fast enough. :D
Absolutely....I always buy for linux, but, being a gamer, I tend to jump ahead of the kernel sometimes. :)
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Thats why I keep more than 1 PC around. actually have 3. All are not the newest latest and greatest but if you keep one for Linux Distros and another for gaming then that might advantage you in alot of ways. Not all folks can do that. I have an old dell B120 Laptop that I keep for testing Distros with a Partition for working on XP machines (I am a computer Tech) I have a ASUS P5N-SLI that is about 2 years old and it holds mint 9 and Vista, and Ubuntu for working on Computers. Mint 9 is for my enjoyment. :D I have another one which is the one I am on now which is an ASUS P5G41-M LE and it runs LMDE, and Debian in Vitural Box with a dual boot of Julia. I am not a gamer so I dont need any of the I Core processors and tons of memory because I dont game. :lol: 8)
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

willie42 wrote:Thats why I keep more than 1 PC around. actually have 3. All are not the newest latest and greatest but if you keep one for Linux Distros and another for gaming then that might advantage you in alot of ways. Not all folks can do that. I have an old dell B120 Laptop that I keep for testing Distros with a Partition for working on XP machines (I am a computer Tech) I have a ASUS P5N-SLI that is about 2 years old and it holds mint 9 and Vista, and Ubuntu for working on Computers. Mint 9 is for my enjoyment. :D I have another one which is the one I am on now which is an ASUS P5G41-M LE and it runs LMDE, and Debian in Vitural Box with a dual boot of Julia. I am not a gamer so I dont need any of the I Core processors and tons of memory because I dont game. :lol: 8)
Yep....my GF moved in with me, she has my linux only laptop.....so I dual booted my Dell Precision lappy.....time to go shopping again.....LOL :lol:
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

theZoid wrote:
willie42 wrote:Thats why I keep more than 1 PC around. actually have 3. All are not the newest latest and greatest but if you keep one for Linux Distros and another for gaming then that might advantage you in alot of ways. Not all folks can do that. I have an old dell B120 Laptop that I keep for testing Distros with a Partition for working on XP machines (I am a computer Tech) I have a ASUS P5N-SLI that is about 2 years old and it holds mint 9 and Vista, and Ubuntu for working on Computers. Mint 9 is for my enjoyment. :D I have another one which is the one I am on now which is an ASUS P5G41-M LE and it runs LMDE, and Debian in Vitural Box with a dual boot of Julia. I am not a gamer so I dont need any of the I Core processors and tons of memory because I dont game. :lol: 8)
Yep....my GF moved in with me, she has my linux only laptop.....so I dual booted my Dell Precision lappy.....time to go shopping again.....LOL :lol:
I will be doing that in May except I will be buying parts for 2 more PC's.....All I can say is too many Distros and too few machines lol
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

How would go about obtaining the Liquorix Kernal? A little more speed is always good.

2-32 Works well (LMDE), but so does 2-35(Julia) and I've heard promising things all over this forum on the 2-37.

A little guidance would be great here.

Thanks,
Dave
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

I fought my way through the instructions HERE and eventually by brute force got it installed.

Edit:

How I managed to install Liquorix

Click on Computer on Desktop >
Click on File System > etc >
Right Click on apt > Open as administrator >
Double Click on sources.list.save >
Copy & Paste all between the quotes "deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main" below the other entries > then Save

Open Terminal and Copy & Paste this in
sudo apt-get update
then
apt-get install '^liquorix-([^-]+-)?keyring.?'
then
sudo update-grub

Then open Package Manager and scroll down to Kernel and modules and click on it
If I've remembered all this correctly then you will see 4 Liquorix entries
I Right Clicked on each and Marked for Installation
Apply install etc.

Restart the Computer and hopefully that is it.

As someone who hasn't much of a clue what I'm doing the above may not be strictly correct. :oops:
Last edited by GSXR750L on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

willie42 wrote:Here ya go Dave see this post

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 83&start=0
I gave it a shot. Copied and Pasted each command. Still no luck.

I guess I'll wait until the next wave of testing begins.

Thanks For Trying,
Dave
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

Dave68 wrote:
willie42 wrote:Here ya go Dave see this post

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 83&start=0
I gave it a shot. Copied and Pasted each command. Still no luck.

I guess I'll wait until the next wave of testing begins.

Thanks For Trying,
Dave
You had trouble installing the kernel? Just install the repo and keyring, and install it from synaptic. I'll give you the repo and keyring stuff if you can't find it.
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

:oops: Stupid Me!!! :oops:

I forgot the most important part.
install it from synaptic
I don't use Synaptic Much.

I'm now running Liquorix Kernel.

You guys ROCK!!

Pretty Peppy,
Dave
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

+1 on the suspend to RAM working with Liquorix

This is the very first time it has worked on this computer. Never worked with Mint 9 or 10. I tired all the suggested fixes. NADA!

Installed the Liquorix on my new Mint Debian 64 bit. VOILA! Suspend works. :D

Thanks to the forum - yet again!
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

This is great to see others are getting functionality back.....I think the kernel is catching up with some of the hardware out there. Damentz, the kernel hacker, is aware of this via IRC.
twa

Post by twa »

Hi,
installed this kernell as per the above instructions..given also sudo update-grub
and the new kernel was in there..but system did not reboot...black screen with
blinking dash -
what went wrong ???
so I restarted in recovery mode and removed this kernell
am on 32bits LMDE
:evil:
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

did oyu also instlal the kernel headers?
jam666

Post by jam666 »

Hi!

Have somebody managed to install ATI Catalyst driver on this kernel, or older one? When I'm trying to install it gives me "DKMS PART OF INSTALLATION FAILED". Can anyone help, couse I've already spent about a week on searching and trying different sollutions!
twa

Post by twa »

gotjazz,
honestly I don't remember if I installd also the kernel headers.
just followed the procedure above and installed from synaptic...
:?:

Return to “LMDE Archive”