LMDE and Nvidia Drivers

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
XidCat

LMDE and Nvidia Drivers

Post by XidCat »

After a year of Win7 (starting freezing constantly), I went back to LM10. I hate the reinstalls for new versions though (that drove me back to Windows). Finally, I wrote LMDE over my Windows partitions, and the only problem I had were the nouveau drivers. All my windows rolled over the right edge of the screen and same with the task bar clock. I dreaded installing the NVIDIA drivers (I read the horror stories), but I did it anyways. In 10 minutes I was done, no fuss, no hassle. I have a GeForce 6150 card, but it should work for similar cards.

1. Went to the NVIDIA website, plugged in my card/OS info into their driver download section. Downloaded and wrote down file name and location.
2. Rebooted into LMDE recovery, navigated by CLI to the folder and ran the NVIDIA driver bin; ./filename
3. It popped up and said nouveau was not compatible with NVIDIA, would I like to disable nouveau. Yes.
4. Reboot into recovery again.
5. Repeat step 2. Smooth sailing, gave me an incompatible GCC scare, ignored it... (feeling lucky) :mrgreen:
6. Rebooted when all was done, graphics work perfect. NVIDIA settings installed, running NVIDIA 260.19.29 (LM10 on my other HDD is running 173 via Jockey)

Other than the graphics, I've no issues with LMDE. Loving LMDE and glad I'm finally on a rolling release. Thanks all who made it happen...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: LMDE and Nvidia Drivers

Post by dawgdoc »

Same procedure worked for me back in September, so my driver was not quite as new. I haven't upgraded since.

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card nVidia C51 [Geforce Go 6150] X.Org 1.7.7 Res: 1280x800@50.0hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce Go 6150/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW! GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 256.53
XidCat

Re: LMDE and Nvidia Drivers

Post by XidCat »

dawgdoc wrote:Same procedure worked for me back in September, so my driver was not quite as new. I haven't upgraded since.
You're probably not missing much, I went back through the change logs, most of the upgrades are adding new hardware or unscrewing previous "fixes". I have no plans to upgrade mine either. Let sleeping dogs lie... :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”