Login and boot solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Richard Davies
Level 1
Level 1

Login and boot solved

Post by Richard Davies »

After I login with my user name and password in Celena and press Enter, I get a blank screen in a pale gray color.
Everything works up to that point. The Celena live CD and the installed version of Casandra worked very well on this computer. Help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Login and boot

Post by scorp123 »

Richard Davies wrote:After I login with my user name and password in Celena and press Enter, I get a blank screen in a pale gray color.
Looks like the GUI is hanging ... Does anything happen if you wait for a long enough time?

Did you recently change some stuff? e.g. mess around with permissions, or experience unexpected crashes? Or did you install or remove a lot of packages?
Richard Davies
Level 1
Level 1

Installation and Boot

Post by Richard Davies »

I have waited as long as 5 minutes after login but nothing happens.
I have not changed permissions but I have added a few packages. At this point I think I'll reinstall Cassandra and if that still works I'll try the upgrade again. I don't have time to do it right now. If it works I'll post a reply.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This seems like when you enable Beryl and don't have 3D drivers. However Beryl is not normally active until you start it
Richard Davies
Level 1
Level 1

Login and boot

Post by Richard Davies »

If anyone is still following this thread, I can bring it to a happy conclusion. The problem I had was that I was trying to upgrade to Celena without formatting my home partition. (a separate primary partition) I thought Celena would install on the boot partition and just recognize the original home partition and all the data on it. I began to suspect this when the original Cassandra would not install either. So I ran the Live CD as root and backed up my data then installed Celena with no problems. I don't know the details of this but apparently you have to format and install over all of the partitions. Let me know if this is correct.
Thanks,
Husse

Post by Husse »

Celena without formatting my home partition.
This is exactly what you should not do!
You have the home partition to keep your data
However something may have gone wrong in partitioning
I didn't read the entire thread again...
Richard Davies
Level 1
Level 1

Login and boot

Post by Richard Davies »

What you say makes sense. I don't know what happened, but at least it's working now.
Thanks

Return to “Installation & Boot”