No sound

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

No sound

Post by telenux »

I tried a Live DVD LMDE but when I try audio, there's no sound at all.

I use a sound card, Audigy 2ZS, well supported. So, I would have to google and read the Debian forums or something?

I thought Mint would be tweaked to work with stuff like this. :|

At least, well supported hardware.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: No sound

Post by TBABill »

Has sound worked out of the box on other distros but failed with the LMDE distro? Could you post some more info about the machine. Particularly, if you still have Linux available on it, the output from a terminal when entering the code

Code: Select all

lspci
What manufacturer and model computer? The brand name of a sound card will not tell which chipset it uses, but lspci should give you more specific info.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

TBABill wrote:Has sound worked out of the box on other distros but failed with the LMDE distro? Could you post some more info about the machine. Particularly, if you still have Linux available on it, the output from a terminal when entering the code

Code: Select all

lspci
What manufacturer and model computer? The brand name of a sound card will not tell which chipset it uses, but lspci should give you more specific info.
Do you still want the hardware info?

I discovered it was the same issue as I had in Debian 'straight Debian 6/Squeeze.' I had to check or mute a setting and in Debian KDE, KMix settings, it's called 'Analog/Digital Output Jack.' I forget what the exact name it was in Linux Mint LMDE (I was using Live DVD) but the same equivalent setting being checked solved the sound problem and enabled sound.

I think the sound card is a Creative chipset, but lspci only gives: Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)

KMix shows it as SB0350. dmesg showed this: EMU10K1_Audigy 0000:05:00.0 .....
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Excellent, glad you got it sorted! Sometimes you also may need to go into alsamixer in a terminal window to make sure all your levels are set high enough to hear. Either way, happy it's working for you and you solved it yourself.

Best regards.
salsalha

Post by salsalha »

This worked for me:

http://liquorix.net/

this install liquorix kernel, and at least for me works all fine, like a charm

Greetings
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi telenux!
Please read my help (link1 below), chapter III, S.
seeley
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

salsalha wrote:This worked for me:

Greetings
Didn't work for me and definitely didn't work like a charm.
salsalha

Post by salsalha »

telenux wrote:
salsalha wrote:This worked for me:

Greetings
Didn't work for me and definitely didn't work like a charm.
Sorry to read that....
Brian96

Post by Brian96 »

I could use some help with this issue, too. Sound has worked out of the box for every other distro I've tried on this machine, including the 3 other distros currently installed.

The PulseAudio settings manager gui shows the device and seems to behave as though it is working properly, but there is no sound. lspci also correctly identifies the device.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Sometimes it's just a matter of going into alsamixer in a terminal and raising the output levels of the speakers, headphone or whatever device is too low. I have a laptop I have to do that on with every new install...just type "alsamixer" in a terminal and then navigate to the various mixer settings and raise them as necessary. My speaker one is always set to 00, which is muted basically. That's the easy thing to try first.
gatLinux

Post by gatLinux »

I have the same problem.

I buy this week one Crative Sound Blaster Audigy EX in eBay (2on hand), with LiveCD of Linux Mint 10 (ubuntu based) work perfect.

With the last LMDE nothing, and I have the same configuration like in LiveCD.
abercrombieande

Post by abercrombieande »

Sometimes the hardware gets switched after an update. Go under Menu -> Preferences -> Sound and check the hardware tab.
gatLinux

Post by gatLinux »

abercrombieande wrote:Sometimes the hardware gets switched after an update. Go under Menu -> Preferences -> Sound and check the hardware tab.
Thanks abercrombieande, this menu is correct. I have the same configuration like in Live CD of Mint 10, and don't work.
gatLinux

Post by gatLinux »

Ok, I solved.

I install liquorix kernel, and nothing.

I remove all about alsa and pulseaudo with synaptic, reboot system, install only alsa, reboot system, and work!!!.

Return to “LMDE Archive”