smxi and liquorix

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

smxi and liquorix

Post by telenux »

The main reason I installed Linux Mint Debian edition was to experiment, to use an upgraded kernel.

So, I was recommended to use the liquorix kernel and it looks pretty cool. Apparently, there's a script called smxi and this group of scripts that does all these wonderful things including installing this kernel.

I tried it to much disappointment. First of all, I would not recommend it for a newbie or inexperienced user. There's tons of questions and I think it'll be extremely confusing to the beginning linux user. I have been told by experienced users that it's confusing and I know someone who wouldn't even try it after looking at it. But, my install was specific for experimenting which is why I wasn't doing it on my straight debian install.

I had all these various results but the most frustrating one is that this new kernel is supposedly installed but not in Grub. Nothing is available in the grub menu to boot the new kernel. I used update-grub but to no avail.

Edit: I'll end saying I checked the forums and I can't find any similar circumstance so I'm at a loss.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dave68

Re: smxi and liquorix

Post by Dave68 »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 83&start=0

This is the link I used to figure it out. It was pretty painless actually. Just don't forget to install it from Synaptic.

You might also try:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
It may be there, but grub hasn't been updated.

Good Luck,
Dave
twa

Post by twa »

telenux,
if the kernell is installed U'll find it in synaptic under linux-image
have U installed startupmanager ???
if not install it, configure, sudo update-grub,
shutdown PC and reboot....U should find the kernell listed
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Smxi does ask questions before adding the liquorix kernel, but it's not rocket science. IME the liquorix kernel works well and it has caused me no problems at all.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

Yeah, okay, I got it to work finally. What I did (wrong) was so stupid, I don't even want to say!

But, there is some flickering on the first reboot (first reboot when it was working) when going to the grub screen.

Anyone know what that's about?

The startupmanager wasn't really necessary but it is a nice GUI for grub stuff.

No one wants to know what I did, right? No? Okay, good. :) :oops:
nemesis2all

Post by nemesis2all »

Flickering could be from not re-installing your graphics driver after the kernel upgrade. Depending on the drivers you are using smxi usually gives you the option to reinstall them for the kernel you installed before you reboot. Also you should put in here what you did wrong to hopefully prevent someone else from making the same mistake.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

It's worse now. My Mint install is totally screwed. It won't load X since it's corrupted or something? There's a left-hand cursor that wildly flickers and I don't know how to stop it. I can't get a terminal so I can't do anything about stopping it from trying to load.

This was due to an attempt to install the drivers with the sgfxi script! The Noveau modules couldn't be removed so they were blacklisted.

I'm giving up. If almost everything will go wrong then it's not worth it.

What I did wrong was undergo this experiment. It needs more work, imho, because the install is routine (there's free noveau drivers in the kernel now and the manual install has certain steps which I am sure the script is doing).

Anyway, the other thing I did wrong was the grub update which I needed to do for the grub I installed to the MBR. I installed Mint's grub in the root partition. So, my Debian install's grub was doing the booting and it wasn't updated. You can laugh because the joke's on me. But, I think the scripts are too much and I had a problem with them before when I tried to use them to install Nvidia drivers. No support for it either.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I hate to be a spoil sport but I must hardily disagree with almost everything the thread started has said in this thread. smxi and h2's other scripts are excellent and well maintained. They make upgrading Debian and most Debian based distros almost fool proof.

They are CLI based but there are good reasons for this and one of the many reasons that so little breakage occurs when they are used. LEARN to use them properly and you won't have the issues you mentioned. No support? Please... smxi support is very good and the scripts are well documented. Go to the url below. What more support would you be asking for?

http://smxi.org/

Fred
nemesis2all

Post by nemesis2all »

telenux wrote:It's worse now. My Mint install is totally screwed. It won't load X since it's corrupted or something? There's a left-hand cursor that wildly flickers and I don't know how to stop it. I can't get a terminal so I can't do anything about stopping it from trying to load.

This was due to an attempt to install the drivers with the sgfxi script! The Noveau modules couldn't be removed so they were blacklisted.

I'm giving up. If almost everything will go wrong then it's not worth it.

What I did wrong was undergo this experiment. It needs more work, imho, because the install is routine (there's free noveau drivers in the kernel now and the manual install has certain steps which I am sure the script is doing).

Anyway, the other thing I did wrong was the grub update which I needed to do for the grub I installed to the MBR. I installed Mint's grub in the root partition. So, my Debian install's grub was doing the booting and it wasn't updated. You can laugh because the joke's on me. But, I think the scripts are too much and I had a problem with them before when I tried to use them to install Nvidia drivers. No support for it either.
Your mint is not totally screwed. If you have not reinstalled yet getting it working would probably be as simple as copying over a backup xorg.conf or adding a kernel argument for grub in recovery mode.

Return to “LMDE Archive”