How do I kill X?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
xircon

How do I kill X?

Post by xircon »

Trying to install the Liqourix kernel and need to run sgfxi, but am having problems and am getting help from their forum. Tried:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/gdm stop
But that doesn't work.

Cheers

Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Seca

Re: How do I kill X?

Post by Seca »

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop in lmde or sudo service gdm3 stop
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Or just plain ctrl+alt+F1
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
xircon

Post by xircon »

Thanks, missed the 3 out!

Could somebody do me a favour? Kill X with /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop log in on ctr+alt+f1 and run:

echo $DISPLAY
And tell me what it returns. Mine is returning 22:0.0, TechAdmin on the sgfxi forum thinks it should return null (nothing).

The link to the post helping me is http://techpatterns.com/forums/about1732-10.html

Cheers

Steve
Seca

Post by Seca »

Where are you running echo $DISPLAY? If running outside of gdm(within tty), there shouldn't be one because $DISPLAY shouldn't be set.
xircon

Post by xircon »

I kill gdm using the smxi script, log onto ctrl+alt+f1 then run echo $DISPLAY. It is returning 22:0.0, could you give it a go to confirm my problem?

:Edit:
I just did the above and it returns 09:0.0 rather than the 22 returned by smxi.
Seca

Post by Seca »

I didn't get anything when I tried.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Which is what I would expect, what the hell is different about my set-up? I am officially baffled!

What is your set-up? Mine is a Dell Inspiron N5010 with an ATI HD5000 series card (with HDMI output)
Seca

Post by Seca »

I don't know that it will make a difference but you could try Ctrl+Alt+F1 , log in, sudo /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop, and then run smxi.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Thanks Seca, that worked, I can now go back to trying to get fglrx & broadcom drivers to work on liqourix.

Cheers

Steve
resuni

Post by resuni »

tdockery97 wrote:Or just plain ctrl+alt+F1
This doesn't actually kill X. It just switches to a full-screen tty. If you do that then type

ps -ef |grep X
then you'll see that an X process is still running. You can even switch back to the desktop with Ctrl+Alt+F7. The thread is already solved but I just thought I'd mention that.

Return to “LMDE Archive”