New Functionality with Liquorix Kernel 2.6.37-0.dmz.4-nnn

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gotjazz

Re: New Functionality with Liquorix Kernel 2.6.37-0.dmz.4-nn

Post by gotjazz »

well - you need them for the whole thing to work. Also synaptic - same repo :)
oh and watch the output while installation - maybe the installation of some kernel module failed
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

twa wrote:Hi,
installed this kernell as per the above instructions..given also sudo update-grub
and the new kernel was in there..but system did not reboot...black screen with
blinking dash -
what went wrong ???
so I restarted in recovery mode and removed this kernell
am on 32bits LMDE
:evil:
twa, when I install the kernel on first reboot I boot into recovery mode and install the nvidia driver....otherwise, I'll go to black screen as you describe....seems you need to do the equivalent.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
twa

Post by twa »

gotjazz,
well..will try the re-install and let U know the outcome.

joutlan,
so do I need to reinstall also the NVidia driver ??? will try also this step and
adz.
For now many thanks to both of U.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

twa wrote:gotjazz,
well..will try the re-install and let U know the outcome.

joutlan,
so do I need to reinstall also the NVidia driver ??? will try also this step and
adz.
For now many thanks to both of U.
Yes, reinstall the Nvidia driver or you won't get into X.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

I installed the Liquorix Kernel 2.6.37-0.dmz.4-nnn on my Intel Atom D510MO web server which has a 60G Vertex SSD. It works perfectly so far as I can tell except the Login Screen is offset to the left and I can't find a way to get it back where it belongs. There is no problem with the offset except it looks odd.

There was no problem with the offset when I was using the .36 Kernel.

Running LMDE with Xfce installed on top of Gnome.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

hey i installed liquorix on my inspiron 1545 and now i cant connect to wifi D: confused happened D: i can connect using the old kernel but wireless wont work with liquorix 2.6.37
Intio

Post by Intio »

Meh. I tried the Liquorix kernel a couple oftimes (includig the most recent version) but I think my Netbook isn't getting the most out of it. In both cases there was no perceptible performance increase in games or OS 'snapiness', and in both cases Liquorix constantly forgot how to handle a laptop connected to a VGA screen. No matter how often I set the monitor preferences - it would always forget and reset whenever screen modes changed.

Maybe I was expecting too much from it - if I want to play games I should shell out for something other than a netbook! :P
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

lolz yha. can u help me get installed to use wireless? i had to manually install a wireless driver using this page as reference.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=57056
would i have to reinstall my wireless drivers under the new kernel or what?
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

dante19992 wrote:lolz yha. can u help me get installed to use wireless? i had to manually install a wireless driver using this page as reference.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=57056
would i have to reinstall my wireless drivers under the new kernel or what?
for 64 bit LMDE http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=62479 you would go to that link and change some stuff that is in a later post and the 32 bit you would copy exactly what is in the firstpost
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

EDIT: *facepalms* nvm i feel like a moron. just one question. do i need to uninstall my previous sta?
Last edited by dante19992 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

twa, when I install the kernel on first reboot I boot into recovery mode and install the nvidia driver....otherwise, I'll go to black screen as you describe....seems you need to do the equivalent.
It seems from the above posts that folks had to reinstall their nvidia drivers after updating to the Liquirox kernel? I am wondering why I DIDN"T?. I am using Mint Debian 64 bit, my computer specs are in my signature. I was using the latest (195) nvidia drivers available in synaptic. I just booted back up into the new kernel, both kernels were there in grub. Everything loaded up fine with Nvidia 195 driver working and compiz working. I didnt have to do anything? :?: What did I do RIGHT.? :lol:

I followed Vincents method in this post. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 83&start=0
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

GeneC wrote:
It seems from the above posts that folks had to reinstall their nvidia drivers after updating to the Liquirox kernel? I am wondering why I DIDN"T?. I am using Mint Debian 64 bit, my computer specs are in my signature. I was using the latest (195) nvidia drivers available in synaptic. I just booted back up into the new kernel, both kernels were there in grub. Everything loaded up fine with Nvidia 195 driver working and compiz working. I didnt have to do anything? :?: What did I do RIGHT.? :lol:

I followed Vincents method in this post. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 83&start=0
GeneC: I'm using nvidia driver 260.19.21 from the Nvidia website...I install it manually, that's why I had to do it. I should have pointed that out.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

joutlan

Thanks for the reply :D

OK. I should have caught that. I noticed that my Mint 10 install uses the 260 Nvidia driver as well. I am new to Linux, and used the "additional drivers" installation tool from Mint 10. I guess the Mint Debian repo doesn't have the 260 driver yet. Looks like the 195 is the newest. As its running fine in Mint Debian, I am going to stick with it, till I get more familiar with Linux.

Glad you got yours going, though.. :wink:

Be Well
jonas.bardino

Post by jonas.bardino »

Just an addition to this Liquorix kernel solution to suspend/resume problems:
I saw frequent hangs when resuming from suspend-to-ram on my Thinkpad T60 with a ATI Radeon Mobility X1300 using the default 2.6.32-28 kernel from 64-bit LMDE. I tried enabling level 4 and 5 packages in mintUpdate and upgrading to the latest upstream kernel 2.6.32-30 from Debian Squeeze and for a while the problem appeared to be gone, but then it happened again yesterday :(

I may try the Liquorix way now even though I suppose using a direct upstream kernel is slightly more future proof as that kernel or later upstream ones should automatically flow into LMDE at some point.

I also still see occasional hangs during boot where the blink and switch to radeon color frame buffer sometimes crashes the boot up process with a garbled screen and no more activity. I don't know if that problem is related but the only solution then also is to power off and retry. It looks like removing the 'quiet' flag to grub at least makes the boot hangs less frequent. It hangs quite often when enabled but only rarely after disabling quiet mode by deleting quiet from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line of /etc/default/grub and running:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Further updates may follow...

Cheers, Jonas
Last edited by jonas.bardino on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Does anyone know if the Transparent Hugepage Support was implemented in this latest kernel? Damentz mentioned it would be added in .37.
Milltach

Post by Milltach »

liquorix 2.6.37 + ATi driver fglrx =

Error! Could not locate fglrx.ko for module fglrx in the DKMS tree.
You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.37-0.dmz.4-liquorix-amd64 (x86_64) first.
Its not possible to use fglrx with the new kernel. Too bad. Does anybody got more luck with the ATI driver and 2.6.37?
nemesis2all

Post by nemesis2all »

Milltach wrote:liquorix 2.6.37 + ATi driver fglrx =

Error! Could not locate fglrx.ko for module fglrx in the DKMS tree.
You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.37-0.dmz.4-liquorix-amd64 (x86_64) first.
Its not possible to use fglrx with the new kernel. Too bad. Does anybody got more luck with the ATI driver and 2.6.37?
I have not personally tried it, but this may be the solution for you. http://www.cosmicencounter.net/mirror/p ... init.patch
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

The latest Liquorix kernel upgrade yesterday broke suspend again. the .5dmz one.

DAMENTZ: You are going to HAVE to chime in on this one.....:)

EDIT: I'm going back to previous now to prove it, but pretty sure.

EDIT2: Microphone still works though.....I guess others need to confirm this to see if it was only me.

EDIT3: Per the kernel maintainer, Damentz:
I added intel_iommu=on as boot option in /etc/default/grub and suspend started working again. That enables dma remapping. Anyway, cheers !
Last edited by joutlan on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tahu363

Post by tahu363 »

Hello all, I too have a Precision m6500. I've spent upwards of $5,000 on this bad boy, and have been having alot of trouble outfitting it with the latest Liquorix. There is a precompiled version on the repo, the only issue is that it lacks PAE support - I choose not to operate on a 64-bit build of linux but still would like full access to my 8GB or ram. If its not too much trouble, I was wondering if perhaps one of you who also has a m6500 could churn me out a .deb of 2.6.37-liquorix with PAE (the latest build with suspend/hibernate/mic working) and upload it to a filehost. Any takers?
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

somehow i doubt it - but good look :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”