Question Regarding Chromium Browser in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
craig10x

Question Regarding Chromium Browser in LMDE

Post by craig10x »

The version that is in there now is an old version (in the 6 range) while current chromium stable is in the 8 range...as far as newer versions go, is it best to wait for debian to send them down through "testing" to your LMDE? Or is it better to add some kind of ppa or whatever to get newer versions of stable?

What is the best way to do it (that won't cause any system problems or conflicts) and how do you do it?

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jeffreyC

Re: Question Regarding Chromium Browser in LMDE

Post by jeffreyC »

CrunchBang has 8 in their repository
Debian experimental has 9
Frickelplatz.de has 10
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

jeffreyC wrote:CrunchBang has 8 in their repository
Debian experimental has 9
Frickelplatz.de has 10
Cool...Any idea generally how long it might take to "filter down" to debian testing (once testing opens the "floodgates" again after around Feb 10th or so when Debian's next stable edition comes out)....

And how come Crunchbang is ahead of debian....it is debian based, isn't it? or does that come from their own repository?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the latest chromium in testing may take a while as vincent linked here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... um#p368363
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Btw, the latest chromium available in Frickelplatz doesn't start for me after today's update :lol:
:D It's the sweetness of bleeding edge :D

Code: Select all

amadeu@inspiron1545-laptop ~ $ chromium-browser
[13625:13636:25431176513:FATAL:external_pref_extension_loader.cc(63)] Check failed: PathService::Get(base_path_key_, &base_path_). 
Aborted
amadeu@inspiron1545-laptop ~ $ 
edit- the fix (confirmed) is in this thread
http://www.aptosid.com/index.php?name=P ... t=chromium
jimmm33

Post by jimmm33 »

I'm using the Frickleplatz.de repo for Chromium. About 5 days ago it updated to 10.0.644.0. Unfortunately 10.0.644.0 has a bug that the status bar is missing. It has been fixed in already in 10.0.645.0 but Frickleplatz has not updated. Anyone know if a work around or are we going to have to wait for an update?

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue ... l?id=70224
misGnomer

Post by misGnomer »

It looks like Frickelplatz (Sid/Unstable) is now beginning to pull away from Testing with latest updates (to Chromium 11.x, Transmission...) requiring packages not available in Testing or Squeeze.

I'd rather not set Chromium to be 'ignored' so is it time to downgrade to the version tracked by Debian repos?
Last edited by misGnomer on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

To avoid the long wait to get much newer versions of Chromium from Debian Testing, i went with Google Chrome itself which i installed using the deb file from their website..that way, i always get the currently distributed stable version of Chrome (currently that is up to 9.0.597.58)...with that you automatically get the latest updated stable version through your mint updates...

For other programs, i am more then willing to take what debian testing sends along...i have noticed in some cases it is the latest versions (like K3b and Amarok) and in other cases, like Pidgin for example, i recently got the version previous to the latest version...

Chrome is my primary web browser, and that is why i prefer to always have the latest version of it :wink:
Quantumboredom

Post by Quantumboredom »

In case it's of interest, there is a site which tells you why a package in unstable isnt in testing yet.

http://release.debian.org/migration/

Return to “LMDE Archive”