Introduction & Linux Mint Praise

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Darkelve
Level 1
Level 1

Introduction & Linux Mint Praise

Post by Darkelve »

Hi,

first I would like to introduce myself. I'm from Belgium, 28 years and working as a webmaster/web content manager. This is my 5th (6th?) year as a Linux user. I tried about every desktop-oriented distro: Mandrake, Red Hat, Xandros, Linspire, Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Fedore Core 6 and a bunch of others.

Now, some Linux Mint praise:
I've been using SuSe for a long time (2-3 years) and generally been very happy with it. However, 10.1 brought the Yast/ZMD disaster, making 10.1 have a broken package manager. Also I don't like the direction Novell seems to be taking (MS-Novell deal) so I thought it might be wise to try out other distros. This is why I tried out PCLinuxOS and Fedora Core 6. I tried Ubuntu earlier and liked it, but I want my distro to do everything I need it to do: provide good mp3 and video playback, pre-installed Flash and Java plug-in, proving core web fonts or at least easy installation of it, providing 3D video drivers, ...

With Fedora Core 6, this was almost impossible since it has a strict philosophy of leaving everything remotely dubious out. Also it wasn't very usefriendly... a great distro for programmers I expect. Ubuntu was better in this regard, but still a lot of work and I did not like some of the decisions.

So yesterday I tried out Linux Mint and I have to say I'm really loving it! If it doesn't crash like some distro's (or its software) like to do I think I'm sticking with it :)

Also it's really fast, with crisp fonts on my LCD and the whole implementation just "makes sense", meaning sensible defaults (for example the extra folders in the home directory), good tooltips, good choice of default programs (e.g. amaroK! ), uncluttered and logical menus...

A couple of things that were not that good were the absence of configuration tools for certain tasks (well I'm used to Yast which has modules for about every administrative task) and the fact that Nautilus is file manager. Nautilus isn't bad but I found Konqueror better for my use. But who knows, maybe Mint will use Dolphin as its file manager someday?

Two thumbs up for whoever helped with creating this fantastic distro!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Darkelve
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Introduction & Linux Mint Praise

Post by Darkelve »

Well, I must confess I went back to OpenSUSE after a month or so, but right now I've been using Linux Mint Julia for about 2 months.

I'd like to renew my praise. Mint Julia is the most painless and most user-friendly distro I have yet used.

Eagerly awaiting Mint 10 KDE version. :)
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Darkelve,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint

I moved the thread here - this sub forum didn't exist back when you made your OP
jesica

Post by jesica »

welcome to the forum
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Mint is built to be irresistible Darkelve. 8)
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forum! I suffered with openSUSE 10.1, but 10.2 and 10.3 were actually quite good. Though, I had already started using Mint 3 and Debian 4 by then.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to LinuxMint and the Mint Forums.

You're 'introducing' yourself from 4 years ago ... Jan. 6th, 2007 :lol: You've been a member of these forums for a long time

Welcome anyway . . . we're glad to have you.
Darkelve
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darkelve »

vrkalak wrote:Welcome to LinuxMint and the Mint Forums.

You're 'introducing' yourself from 4 years ago ... Jan. 6th, 2007 :lol: You've been a member of these forums for a long time

Welcome anyway . . . we're glad to have you.
I actually went back to openSUSE after 1 month or 1,5 months or so. But right now I'm using Mint 10 and it looks like it's staying there. But I will try Mint KDE version, since I feel more comfortable working with KDE.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”