Moving from Mepis

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
realitykid

Moving from Mepis

Post by realitykid »

Hello everyone! Realitykid here! Just wanted to say hi and let you all know that I have joined you. I have been using Linux Mint since November of 2010 when I got my new laptop. Before that, I had Mepis 8.5, one of the best distributions in the world, installed on my ancient desktop - Linux Mint wouldn't work on it due to lack of hardware support with my old video card. I never thought that I would ever really come to a Ubuntu based distro after Mepis, but I was wrong. Linux Mint has really impressed me. I have had no major issues with it except dvd playback issues which were solved after reinstalling the system. I am currently using Linux Mint 10 and hope to stay around for a while and checking in with Mepis from time to time. Anyway, I must say thanks to the developers of Mint as they did a really good job - except I am not a fan of the theme so I installed the Ubuntu default theme, but that just comes down to personal preference. I also wish that the Software Manager was more like that of Ubuntu's. Not exactly alike, but I just want something a bit more organized and that makes more sense. Other than that I can't really see any reason to dislike Mint at all. It has been very stable and an enjoyable experience thus far. I haven't had to install any third party drivers for anything. All my hardware from Wi-Fi down to the All-in-One card reader has been recognized. This is the 64bit version that I am using by the way. It hasn't given me any real issues that weren't cause by human error or an outside Wi-Fi connection (sometimes it wont connect to school wifi but Windows 7 will - probably a problem with their wifi as it works perfectly fine on every other connection I've used).

My computer:
Gateway NV59C26u laptop
4GB DDR-3 RAM
720p display with Intel HD Graphics
Intel HD Audio
HDMI output
3 USB Ports
VGA output
DVD reader/burner
320GB HDD

One last issue that I have not been able to find a solution for - the backlight of my display will not dim when I use the keyboard controls although it gives me a meter at the top of the screen showing that it should be dimming or getting brighter. But their is no change in display. This causes my battery to drain much faster as I have gotten nearly 4 hours with it in Windows 7 while the display was pretty dim. If their is a way to fix this, please let me know. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Moving from Mepis

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint forums realitykid. You will find a lot of information and help from some very enthusiastic and knowledgeable Mint users. I'm sure you will also want to visit our Mint Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You will find real-time help in our IRC channels. Just go to Menu>Internet>XChat IRC and when you open it you will automatically be taken to our #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels. Have fun with Mint.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

Thanks for the tips and the warm welcome! :)
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello realitykid,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358

It would be best to start a new thread in Hardware Support with your question about your backlight
jesica

Post by jesica »

hallo and welcome to the forum

Return to “Introduce Yourself”